Honored Contributor

Re: Help with giving up sweets!

On 11/28/2014 brunette8706 said:
On 11/28/2014 happy housewife said:

My DH attended diabetes class at the Joslin Diabetes Center and when the nutritionist spoke to them she said the best way to avoid craving sugar is to eat protein when you are craving sugar. My DH keeps peanut butter that is nothing but ground up peanuts - nothing added - and he will eat that or a hard boiled egg when he craves sugar. If you eat fruit , that contains fructose - a sugar - it will make you crave more sugar.The more sugar you eat the more you want so it is beat to avoid it altogether.

Hi. I agree the more you eat sugar the MORE YOU CRAVE! It's a vicious cycle. Where do you buy the peanut butter with nothing added? thanks!

When we lived up north and in the summers we would get it at a local Pittsburgh store - now in florida he makes it himself in the blender.

Honored Contributor

If you really want to cut out all sugars you really can not buy ANY prepared foods as they are all full of sugar. Even a can of soup has some kind of sugar in it. You have to learn to read the labels and what code words are actually sugars. I have had to learn to cook everything from scratch.

Esteemed Contributor

Keep it out of site and take it day be day.
Honored Contributor

I weighed 100 pounds too much for the last 10 years. I could NOT "transition". I STOPPED. Best thing I ever did as a gift to myself. I've lost 80 pounds over the course of a year or so. I've maintained my 80+ loss for about 6 months and I'm totally ready to throw my life into gear to lose the last 20 or so. I recently re-read "The Beck Diet Solution" and found that although I had read it the first time a year or so before I actually used Dr. Beck's principles, I was using them while I was learning how to lose. The book is not truly about "diet" but rather an approach for long term use for those who have struggled with ineffective eating habits. I used mostly Paleo techniques when I began and continue to do so 'till this day- no refined or processed foods, SOOOOO- no grain, no dairy, no sugar, no salt. Dr. Beck's work is a perfect complement to Paleo. My greatest dividend is feeling three million times better physically, but the fact that I can wear size missy 12-14 or M-L is really nice too. My thinking- if you KNOW you have a severe problem, as I did, don't "try", don't "cut back", STOP doing things that support or add to the problem.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/28/2014 violann said: I weighed 100 pounds too much for the last 10 years. I could NOT "transition". I STOPPED. Best thing I ever did as a gift to myself. I've lost 80 pounds over the course of a year or so. I've maintained my 80+ loss for about 6 months and I'm totally ready to throw my life into gear to lose the last 20 or so. I recently re-read "The Beck Diet Solution" and found that although I had read it the first time a year or so before I actually used Dr. Beck's principles, I was using them while I was learning how to lose. The book is not truly about "diet" but rather an approach for long term use for those who have struggled with ineffective eating habits. I used mostly Paleo techniques when I began and continue to do so 'till this day- no refined or processed foods, SOOOOO- no grain, no dairy, no sugar, no salt. Dr. Beck's work is a perfect complement to Paleo. My greatest dividend is feeling three million times better physically, but the fact that I can wear size missy 12-14 or M-L is really nice too. My thinking- if you KNOW you have a severe problem, as I did, don't "try", don't "cut back", STOP doing things that support or add to the problem.

BINGO!!! So true! Clean Eating! Nothing in a box, no white flour, sugar, etc. Weight Watchers has a Simply Filling Technique that introduces more whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, lean meats and fat free diary. Thanks for posting. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

On 11/28/2014 happy housewife said:

If you really want to cut out all sugars you really can not buy ANY prepared foods as they are all full of sugar. Even a can of soup has some kind of sugar in it. You have to learn to read the labels and what code words are actually sugars. I have had to learn to cook everything from scratch.

Perfect response. I totally agree.

Thanks for the peanut butter response. So he just gets a can of peanuts and puts it in a blender? Is there anything else added? Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Wanted to add, I eat berries and green apples, both low carb fruits, very comfortably. My a1c is consistently in the area of 5.4-5.6 over my last 4 blood checks, 6 months apart. My eating profile includes leafy green veggies, one egg and egg whites every day, two cups of berries or a green apple, and half a cup unsalted mixed nuts, raw if I can get them, or two or three tablespoons of any plain nut butter daily. I researched EVERY aspect of obesity management I could find, then experimented and tweaked until I could fond what worked best for me. I strongly believe that all of us must do the same so that we truly OWN what works best for each of us.
Honored Contributor

brunette- a ""can"" of peanuts means that the peanuts WERE processed. The quest can become THAT serious. It was for me.
Trusted Contributor

Check out JJ Virgin's new book ""Sugar Impact Diet"". It just came out. She's really good at explaining how sugar affects our bodies.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

On 11/28/2014 violann said: brunette- a ""can"" of peanuts means that the peanuts WERE processed. The quest can become THAT serious. It was for me.

Hi there! Good point! What about a glass jar of Planters unsalted? Im thinking of putting them in the blender for peanut butter. Smiley Happy

thanks!

Brunette