Regular Contributor

Has anyone else noticed a change in Josie Maran"s Body butter???

The most recent unscented body butter I purchased applies like thick sunscreen. Does not absorb into the skin like it once did. There is also no glow to the skin after application & the lasting moisture is not there. I sure hope Josie didn't sell her company. Everything gets reformulated to be cheaper to manufacture once a new company takes over. I am a loyal customer to Josie Maran, but if the quality of her products, especially the body butter are changing & not for the better I'll have to rethink my dedication to her line. Anyone else notice a change? I'm praying I just got a bad batch of butter.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone else noticed a change in Josie Maran"s Body butter???

@lindseyemmie wrote:

The most recent unscented body butter I purchased applies like thick sunscreen. Does not absorb into the skin like it once did. There is also no glow to the skin after application & the lasting moisture is not there. I sure hope Josie didn't sell her company. Everything gets reformulated to be cheaper to manufacture once a new company takes over. I am a loyal customer to Josie Maran, but if the quality of her products, especially the body butter are changing & not for the better I'll have to rethink my dedication to her line. Anyone else notice a change? I'm praying I just got a bad batch of butter.

Actually,  I noticed this several years ago,  which is why I stopped purchasing.  Felt sticky to me, whereas it had never with previous purchases.

Super Contributor

I just returned a mega size body body in Citrus Spa. It was just another disappointment. I have the sugar scrub in that scent and I love it but the body butter smelled like lemon Pledge to me. It’s her scents that are a let down. I remember once she had a TSC with 8-4 ozs jars called the cremery. Each jar was wonderful. And it’s gotten so expensive. I guess I’m done for now. I’ve will use up what I have.
Super Contributor

I just returned a mega size body body in Citrus Spa. It was just another disappointment. I have the sugar scrub in that scent and I love it but the body butter smelled like lemon Pledge to me. It’s her scents that are a let down. I remember once she had a TSV with 8-4 ozs jars called the cremery. Each jar was wonderful. And it’s gotten so expensive. I guess I’m done for now. I’ve will use up what I have.
Honored Contributor

This is why I stick with First Aid Beauty unscented.  Absorbs instantly with no scent.  No high profile spokeswoman or owner to sell me a bill of goods.  Even my Philosophy body cream doesn't perform as well as First Aid Beauty.  

Super Contributor

I have not noticed any change in the Maran butter body I order from QVC or from Josie's site - still the same creamy consistency I been using for about eight years & still getting good results  (I occasionally tried others - beekman, first aid, philosophy - and always return to Josie's).

Trusted Contributor

I ordered her TSV body butter duo with the pumps and it was definitely very different from my past body butter purchases and not for the better.
Quite honestly, it felt like I was applying vegetable shortening to my skin. It was a dense, thick, non absorbent consistency that left a tacky, sticky residue that just sat on the surface of my skin. It was not the light, fluffy, whipped cream texture  that I remembered that always absorbed into and moisturized my skin. 

I'm not sure if it has a different consistency because of the pump system or if that there has been a formula change across the board and this is just how her body butter is going to be now. That uncertainty has prevented me from ordering any of her body butter offerings since then. 

Respected Contributor

@Maltichonmom17  I purchased two jars of her Body Butter this summer and had the same experience, thick, sticky and felt like it just sat there on my skin. The fragrance was not great either, barely detectable. Your description of being like vegetable shortening is exactly what it was like. I will not be purchasing that again.

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

@Maltichonmom17  I purchased two jars of her Body Butter this summer and had the same experience, thick, sticky and felt like it just sat there on my skin. The fragrance was not great either, barely detectable. Your description of being like vegetable shortening is exactly what it was like. I will not be purchasing that again.

@Enufstuff , if you had that same experience with her non pump body butter then that leads me to assume that it is indeed an across the board formula change and cheapening of the product. I've been purchasing Josie's products for a long time. Her products are pricy but I was satisfied enough to fork over my $$$. However, I won't pay those prices for a lesser quality product. I'm willing to move on. 
While I've also been a fan of First Aid Beauty body butter, they have now priced their products out of my comfort zone. So that's two products that I'm willing to walk away from. I guess I need to do some homework and see what else is out there and reevaluate my needs and wants. 🤷🏻‍♀️

New Contributor

I had the same experience with the pair of large jars with pumps being waxy, thick, and difficult to absorb.  I contacted JM directly and asked if the ingredients had changed and the only response they offered was to ask QVC for a refund.  It was too late for a refund but, really, my bigger concern is whether they changed the formula.  I've spent well over $1k on JM body butter;  I know the consistency well and it is different in the pump jars.  I, too, am wondering if it is just the batch with the pumps or across the board.  I just cancelled my AD for the pumps.  If the formula has changed, I'm done.  So disappointed.