Honored Contributor

I recently had posted a thread on my stylist leaving the salon.  Well, I tried someone different at the salon -- BIG MISTAKE.  I don't understand why the owner would let this person cut short hair if she does not know what she is doing.  This is the worse haircut I have experienced in over 40 years!  She did not know how to cut around the ears nor check to see if they were both the same or close to it.  I was such a fool to pay for it and give her a tip.  I just wanted to get out of there.  Never again but now I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to grow out.  I will drive 20 miles to go back to the stylist that left the salon for a new salon  Another live and learn experience.  You are never too old to learn a lesson!Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

Sometimes I regret being so camera-shy because if I hadn't been I would have an impressive number of photos featuring horrific haircuts and horrendous eyeglass frames.

It would have made a fabulous coffee table book.  Might even have given hope to millions of women everywhere.  ("And I thought I looked ridiculous!  Check her out!")

Well, I had my hair cut yesterday and was expecting the absolute worst.  I've been struggling with this person who's been cutting my hair.  I like her, but I don't really like my hair.

My hair is a challenge, I admit.  And I'm encouraged that she seems to understand those challenges.  Yesterday I think I finally got a decent cut.  And it's because she shaved off most of it before I even had a chance to question it.

Super-short pixie, shaved close in the back with side-swept bangs.  Very short.  Bold, even.

No one is more surprised than moi.

Can your cut be saved by your regular stylist?  Even if she has to cut more off to fix it?

P.S. I'm really liking the Acure Pear & Fig conditioner.  Still looking for a sale price on the shampoo, though.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Darn, sorry that happened. I changed stylist after going to the same one since the 80's, just needed a change. Went online to search nearby salons, read reviews about each stylist & made an appt for a haircut with one that had excellent reviews. The salon was nice, she was friendly & I told her I only wanted a little trim by my ears so my earrings showed & asked what ideas she had to switch up my look. She did the quick trim & spent time showing me color products, explaining highlights, lowlights & how she would style & cut my hair. When I went to pay she said no charge & I hope you'll come back...I left impressed, she's my stylist & the change has lifted my spirits. Have a small snip & interview a new stylist before going all in.

Honored Contributor

I wear my hair short also - and precision is absolutely necessary because you can't hide mistakes!

Each time I changed hairdressers - it was on the recommendation of other women who wore their hair short - and whose haircuts I admired enough to ask for a referral.

(I've stopped women on the street to ask who did their hair.  And - I've also been stopped and asked the same question.)

Honored Contributor

Happy to hear you had such a good experience "test-driving" a new stylist...great idea.

Respected Contributor

oh well...six to eight weeks is nothing, at least you have hair to grow back...yep lesson learned huh? 

Trusted Contributor

one of my friends teaches at a beauty school and she told me that they are not really training the studen ts the way that they used to train them.  some of them are for profit schools and all they really care about is the money

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I recently had posted a thread on my stylist leaving the salon.  Well, I tried someone different at the salon -- BIG MISTAKE.  I don't understand why the owner would let this person cut short hair if she does not know what she is doing.  This is the worse haircut I have experienced in over 40 years!  She did not know how to cut around the ears nor check to see if they were both the same or close to it.  I was such a fool to pay for it and give her a tip.  I just wanted to get out of there.  Never again but now I have to wait 6 to 8 weeks to grow out.  I will drive 20 miles to go back to the stylist that left the salon for a new salon  Another live and learn experience.  You are never too old to learn a lesson!Cat Mad

@Katcat1  Hate it when we’re disappointed by a stylist. Sorry it happened to you. Shouldn’t there be some sort of ratings, inspections, grading so we know who stinks?  Restaurants get inspected and if not acceptable get a poor rating. How are these people graduating from beauty school? They should be required to display their GPA at their booth, then we skip appointments w/ the “B” & lower stylists. For that matter, a good salon should not hire a “D” student...sure to lose customers, no?

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

one of my friends teaches at a beauty school and she told me that they are not really training the studen ts the way that they used to train them.  some of them are for profit schools and all they really care about is the money

@shortbreadlover  Well that certainly explains a lot.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that long hair is easier to cut because basically you are shaping but short hair is a challenge.  Yes, you would think the owner knows this girl's weaknesses.  I can't go back now but I should have not paid.  Lesson learned, I move on.  Now I have to see if I can work with this mess!!!!  LOL 

kindness is strength