Contributor

I ordered the HairMax Special Value from February 20th.  I am debating as to whether I should cancel it as I am reading on Amazon that some people shed a lot of hair before it helped.  This terrifies me as I don't want to lose anymore hair.  I have used Good Hair Day by Joann Rivers that has done a good job of covering up my hair loss near the front of my head behind my bangs.  Has anyone had a bad hair shedding problem with this?  I have tried vitamins and they don't seem to help. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HairMax question for users

I've been using a hair laser for several years. Never had any shedding issues. 

Just so you know...you have to use the laser on clean scalp, no Great Hair Day powder on it because the powder will block the laser light from reaching your hair follicles.

Honored Contributor

Reviews on the Q for the laser 9 are not very good, and yes, shedding is reported in the reviews. I did not order, becasue i keep Toppik hair fibers in my scalp at all times, and so the laser would be blocked as stated in the previous post.

Respected Contributor

@Born2type, this is directly from their website and is also discussed in the owner's manual:

When the follicles in androgenetic alopecia (hereditary/pattern hair loss) become miniaturized they produce fine, wispy hairs. The laser energy stimulates the follicles to shed these diseased hairs to make way for new healthy hair. The amount of shedding is variable between individuals, and some people have little to no shedding depending on the severity of the condition. It is important to know that the HairMax laser devices DO NOT IN ANY WAY damage hair and if you were to stop treatment your hair would return to the state it was before you used the device.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee, I have a couple of questions for you as mine came today!  Smiley Happy

1)  I plan to use mine after my shower after my hair has been towel dried.  I always use a spray-on product to help condition, protect my hair, and ease the comb-out.  Can I still use that?

2)  I read the directions, but I am confused on the combing motion from side to side.  Do I start at my right ear (for example) and comb over to the left ear?  Or do I start at the right ear, comb to the crown, and then go to the left ear and comb to the crown?

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisgwrote:

@SilleeMee, I have a couple of questions for you as mine came today!  Smiley Happy

1)  I plan to use mine after my shower after my hair has been towel dried.  I always use a spray-on product to help condition, protect my hair, and ease the comb-out.  Can I still use that?

2)  I read the directions, but I am confused on the combing motion from side to side.  Do I start at my right ear (for example) and comb over to the left ear?  Or do I start at the right ear, comb to the crown, and then go to the left ear and comb to the crown?

Oh I'm happy it came today! Woman Very Happy @Ainhisg

Yes, it's okay to use the laser comb on damp hair that has been sprayed with a leave-in treatment. Just check the laser 'window' once in a while and make sure it's clean.  I wipe mine off with a damp microfiber cloth. The comb part can be taken off from the hand piece and washed as well.

As far as how to sweep it across the scalp...I think the important thing is to make sure you are treating your entire scalp by either going over any one area at least twice by going in one direction then again in another direction or whatever feels most comfortable for you. Check out youtube vids for some helpful 'how-to's'. I think that might be the best way to see how to use it. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Forgot to mention...

When you are placing the comb on your head make sure that all of the teeth are touching your scalp during the entire process. This will ensure that the laser lights will be in the correct position for maximum efficacy. @Ainhisg

Contributor

I talked to my hairdresser today and she suggested just using it on a small spot on my head to see how I react to it first.  Also, I just today received my hair, nail and skin vitamins from HSN.  I am hoping they will help.  The cheap ones from the grocery store seem to be doing nothing. 

Thanks for the answers so far and look forward to hearing from more of you.  It is really painful for a woman to having thinning hair.  We cannot shave it off like men.  I know that it is still painful for men, but nothing like it is for a woman. 

Contributor

I plan on using it after I wash my hair and dry it just before bed.  I will apply the Great Hair Day after I use the device or in the morning when I get ready for work.  I am just scared of the comments about shedding.  I don't need to shed anymore hair Smiley Sad!!!

Contributor

I am finding that the Great Hair Day works wonderful.  After I use it, you cannot tell that I have thinning spots on my head.  I just want to maintain the hair I have and not lose anymore!