Respected Contributor

Hair color from Sally's??? Anyone?

I'm blonde and I've GOT to buy a new hair color that covers the white!!!  My hairdresser told me to go Sally's and choose the color I want and a 20 volume peroxide.  What I've BEEN using all comes in a box (hair color, 30 or 40 volume peroxide) and she said that will "lift" the color, but the 20 volume won't.

Sally's has SO many different brands!!!  I'd at least like a recommendation for a brand, even if you aren't blonde.  If you are, those recommendations would be appreciated, too.

Thank you.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hair color from Sally's??? Anyone?

@spent2much wrote:

I'm blonde and I've GOT to buy a new hair color that covers the white!!!  My hairdresser told me to go Sally's and choose the color I want and a 20 volume peroxide.  What I've BEEN using all comes in a box (hair color, 30 or 40 volume peroxide) and she said that will "lift" the color, but the 20 volume won't.

Sally's has SO many different brands!!!  I'd at least like a recommendation for a brand, even if you aren't blonde.  If you are, those recommendations would be appreciated, too.

Thank you.

@spent2much - my husband was a hairdresser for 50 years in NYC.  Now that he's retired, we purchase my hair color.  He swears by clairol.  Sally in our area hasn't had my color and I find Amazon has a better assortment 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont use blonde, but I love this brand. It stays fresh looking longer. I get it at Sally's

IMG_0947.jpeg

Super Contributor

I  started coloring my hair at home this year. I went to Sally's and the associate told me what to purchase and how to use it. She recommended the Ion Brilliant 12  brand for me. I'm very satisfied with it. I have only used it twice so far though. 

Honored Contributor

I've been coloring my hair at home for a few years. I've been using the brand Fiera in dark roast and espresso. A couple of years ago I went to Sally's and bought their store brand, Ion, in a dark brown color. It turned my hair so black that it was blue. And that color wasn't coming out until it was ready 😳

Honored Contributor

I don't color blonde, but I used to get my color from Sally's.  I started out with Clairol, but after awhile I moved on to Torrids.  Don't know if they have blonde colors; I color red.  I could definitely tell a difference in the condition of my hair while washing the color out after changing brands.  

Not sure what your hairdresser meant by 20 Vol. peroxide doesn't lift.  All peroxides lift to some degree.  10 Vol. has the least amount of lift and is more like a demi-permanent.  I use that on my ends, but need the 20 Vol. to color my roots now that I'm more gray than not.  It is the standard for gray coverage.

I prefer a cream developer which is applied with a brush, so I have more control.