Respected Contributor

I live where salons etc are closed.  Fine with me but my hair has really grown over the last year.  I don't mind the length but....it is also thinning a bit and will not hold any curl.   I'll blow it dry with a round brush or stick 2-3 Velcro rollers in the top and two hours later it is stringy straight.

My question is....I thought that maybe a very loose perm on giant rods might help with holding some curl/shape to it and give it a bit of volume and body.

Several years ago I read an article about the "new" perms and the salon I went to had one person who was trained in giving them.  I never did it but am wondering now if I should.

Anyone have any experience with these 'new' perms or know about them and can share their opinion and thoughts?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal.  Salons in New Mexico are not closed.  They're allowed to operate at limited capacity.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

our salons are open too with limited customers.

I would open up YouTube and put that in the search, there are probably plenty of videos to show you how to use these "new" permanents. Or go to a brand like Clairol or L'Oreal and you will probably find plenty of information on their websites. 

Honored Contributor

If the salons are all closed where you live, how are you going to get a perm?

The "new perms" are basically the same chemicals as the old perms with more moisturizing elements that are milder.  The new part is in the techniques used.

A home perm will still yield frizz, fuzz and damage if done by someone who doesn't wrap correctly and/or doesn't remove the solution at the right time or doesn't properly apply the neutralizer.

Once the salons open, schedule an appointment with somone who is trained to give a modern perm.  They are actually making a comeback, I think you will be happy...or you do as I do.  My hair is straight and doesn't hold a curl for more than 10 minutes.  I just wear a straight style.

Esteemed Contributor

I have no experience with the perms, but would offer a suggestion (unless you're already doing this). Use some mousse (or similar product) throughout your wet hair and then blow dry. Use a smaller Velco curler and very slightly dampen the root area once it is rolled - when I do this, I dampen my forefinger under the faucet and smooth it over the root area. Then use your blow dryer on the curlers for about 30 seconds to dry it. That should give you some volume.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Bridgegal.  Salons in New Mexico are not closed.  They're allowed to operate at limited capacity.

Oh I missed that.   Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair Question

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I have no experience with the perms, but would offer a suggestion (unless you're already doing this). Use some mousse (or similar product) throughout your wet hair and then blow dry. Use a smaller Velco curler and very slightly dampen the root area once it is rolled - when I do this, I dampen my forefinger under the faucet and smooth it over the root area. Then use your blow dryer on the curlers for about 30 seconds to dry it. That should give you some volume.

Thanks.  I'll try all of that.  I have some mousse somewhere and can get a few more Velcro rollers.  

@Carmie   I thought I'd get info now and be ready to go or not go when the salons open.  Kachina says they are now open at limited #'s.

@Bhvbum That is a great idea.  Thanks 

Honored Contributor

I haven't had a trim or anything done to my hair since the virus thing started.  Thankfully, I have what I call a "no style" style!  The only issue was in the beginning my bangs.  Now, they have pretty much grown out.  I have decided that I'm not going to worry about it or do anything drastic until I am able to go back to my regular place and get the attention my hair needs!  It's not like I'm going much of any place any way!  So, in the meantime I am just keeping it well conditioned and mostly wearing it pulled up in a big clip!

I have not had a perm in eons.  Last I had one my hair was very thick and healthy.  Now, my hair is much thinner and fragile so I would not attempt it.  I would not do anything drastic if I were you until I was able to go to my regular place and get them to offer their help and suggestions as to what they think you should do.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hair Question

[ Edited ]

I don't know about perms, but I don't think velcro rollers do much even if left in that long (2 hours). Can you change up your curling method, and like others have suggested, use a setting product first?

Also, longer hair, even if on the fine side, will be weighed down some and not hold the curl as tight.

eta: You could also try to only roll on the ends and not the full length of your hair.