Respected Contributor

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@haddon9 @Enufstuff @cheriere  I am loving all of your 80's perm stories, ladies! I bet all of you rocked that big, beautiful 80's permed hair! The scrunching and gel was essential to 80's hair based on my movie and magazine research Smiley Very Happy. Rock on, ladies! Heart

Today on The Drew Barrymore Show, they said 80s hair is BACK in STYLE!  Those full, teased, wavy or curly locks are right on trend!  So, we have a chance to try these do's again.😃💝

Regular Contributor

Thank you to all who offered an opinion on how to deal with this.  I so appreciate it. ❤️

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@spumoni99 wrote:

I haven't heard of anyone getting a perm for many years, maybe for the older crowd?   Maybe ask your hairdresser, provide a picture?  Back in the day when perms were popular I was always disappointed!

Lol, I can remember my grandmother and many other people getting those short little perms in the 80s.  
The other day, my mom said frustrated and jokingly to the hairdresser, "It looks like I'm gonna have to let my hair go grey and get one of those short little Afros like all the old women used to get."  😂

I had long hair with a perm in the 80s too.  I thought it looked great!😃

I had one perm I loved, the hair dresser knew what she was doing, she styled it beautifully after also.  It was called a spiral perm back then.

That's it!  The spiral perm!  Those were the best.  I had to get one.  It turned out great too.  My senior pictures feature me sporting my lovely spiral locks!  😊🌸

@cheriere 

I had a spiral perm in my early 30's!  I had a ton of hair, so after I got this perm it really looked like I had even more.  I had really long hair, also. This perm took hours and hours to do and it was expensive.  I did like it though and I have to say that guys went crazy over it!  HA --- for the good old days!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I agree with those saying "no". Something short and manageable using hair products would be best, IMO. Growing out a perm may make it worse.

I had one perm in my entire life, in the early 80s. I went on vacation to St Maarten and the humidity down there made my hair grow astronomically. The cars there at the time were very small and I couldn't help but wonder if I, along with all that hair, could fit inside.

Just a little humor, which I know you didn't ask for, but I really believe she'd be better off not putting all those chemicals on her skin.

Honored Contributor

I always gave my mom perms during her later years. Her hair was extremely fine and poker strait. It always turned out very cute. Hand tossled and she was done. Heart

"Pure Michigan"