Super Contributor

Hair Color/ Highlights : Do You Double Process?

[ Edited ]

Just read  an article about this and I think that maybe I have figured out why I’m never really excited with my highlights. I have medium to dark brown hair and after some trial and error have found that I look best with golden highlights. The problem is in the base color,  which just looks cold and flat. I have root touch ups.every 5-6 week and highlights with them every 3-4 times. My stylist covers the roots and and the last few minutes covers the rest to blend in in while avoiding the old highlights. I never seem to have that warm, shiney base. It looks pretty good immediately after the highlights but then the color fades at all it just starts looking chalky, flat, dull, cool maybe even ashy. So this article says salons don’t usually do the double process unless you ask. Would this be more damaging to hair? Does anyone have this double process done? Any stylist want to weigh in? I would appreciate any thoughts, or  experience with this. I’m going to TRY to attach the article, hope it works!

Well I tried the link it takes you to the website, to see the article I’m referring to type in “why double process” under the search icon. 

https://beautyeditor.ca/

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Color/ Highlights : Do You Double Process?

@Summer Shine wrote:

Just read  an article about this and I think that maybe I have figured out why I’m never really excited with my highlights. I have medium to dark brown hair and after some trial and error have found that I look best with golden highlights. The problem is in the base color,  which just looks cold and flat. I have root touch ups.every 5-6 week and highlights with them every 3-4 times. My stylist covers the roots and and the last few minutes covers the rest to blend in in while avoiding the old highlights. I never seem to have that warm, shiney base. It looks pretty good immediately after the highlights but then the color fades at all it just starts looking chalky, flat, dull, cool maybe even ashy. So this article says salons don’t usually do the double process unless you ask. Would this be more damaging to hair? Does anyone have this double process done? Any stylist want to weigh in? I would appreciate any thoughts, or  experience with this. I’m going to TRY to attach the article, hope it works!

Well I tried the link it takes you to the website, to see the article I’m referring to type in “why double process” under the search icon. 

https://beautyeditor.ca/

@Summer Shine my understanding of the double process technique is that it's used when someone with dark hair wants to lighten the base color before depositing (or lifting) another color.  You don't say that you want a lighter base color so I'm not sure if that's you're goal.  During the consultation portion of the appointment with your stylist, this is what you should be discussing with him/her.  If you want to keep the dark but are looking for more shine, maybe you need a glaze.  In any case, have a good consultation with you're stylist before he/she begins so you're both on the same page.  

Honored Contributor

I would love to get low lights, but a haircut, color, blowout costs me $92 plus tips, the low lights are an additional $93, that's too much money to spend on my hair.

Respected Contributor

@Summer ShineWhen I needed highlights, they first do the roots, shampoo, dry then do the highlights. My hair is healthy and I never had a problem being dry.

And yes, it cost more money.

Are you using a good color shampoo? I have found that a better shampoo and conditioner will help the fading. I'm sure some will disagree.

I like Biolage and L'anza products.

Honored Contributor

You can use Fanci-Full® by Roux.......wash out rinse to tone your highlights.  It comes in at least a dozen tints.   Sally's has it.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

My lowlights don't last very long either, but my highlights do.

I don't think I would ever double process at my age. I would be afraid of hair damage..

Honored Contributor

Try John Frieda’s Sheer Blonde shampoo and conditioner. It will brighten highlights.
Honored Contributor

I use the Frieda's Go Blonder shampoo...takes the redness out of my highlight and also lightens...it is well worth the money
Respected Contributor

not sure why your base color would look "chalky" and dull.   my guess -  you need a warmer base color.  or the colorist is using an ASH based base color or toning your highlights with ASH giving a green undertone.  Toner will wash out giving ASH toned color a flat grayish look. ASH toned highlights will look flat and gray as well.  You can ask the colorist to apply toner in between highlight appts. Ask for Warm of Gold toner. You do risk brassy tones with warm/gold shades as the color oxidizes.

Avoid double process on the whole head.  too harsh on the hair.   OK for highlights - avoid recoloring old highlights. . 

ASH can be green based or violet based.