Super Contributor

HELP! Just turned the big 40.........what skin care should I be using?

UGH!!!!!!! Just turned 40. Anyone have good recs on what skin care, oils, etc. I should be using for anti-aging? My skin is sentitive but pretty normal. Does get a little dry but not Sahara desert. Any suggestions? Currently I have been using Josie Maran's Argan Oil and BootsNO7 Intense Protect & Perfect daytime cream. Should I be using more? Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: HELP! Just turned the big 40.........what skin care should I be using?

<h1>My skin is sensitive to a point. I am using acure organics. The night cream is awesome & so is the day cream. I also use their eye cream & line eraser. I feel good about placing organic product on my skin plus acure is reasonably priced (under $20). Their Lavender body lotion is absolutely beautiful. Check out their website to read reviews. I purchase at iherb.com but you can also purchase @ Whole Foods stores. Happy Birthday.</h1>
kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Antioxidants and sunscreen I think are essential. I will be 39 next month so I am close to your age. I gravitate to a good vitamin c serum in the AM and Retinol in the PM. My favorite vitamin c serums are Mad Hippie and Isomers Vitamin C Stem Serum. I haven't found a L-Ascorbic acid serum my skin can tolerate. Both of the ones I mentioned didn't cause any irritation for me. As far as retinol, my favorite is Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Retinol Serum but I have also used and like Isomers retiniacin. I highly recommend Paula's Choice Resist Super Light Spf 30. It is all zinc oxide which is great for sensitive skin and it has a tint so you don't get a white cast. If you are interested n an AHA or BHA for exfoliation, Paula's Choice has some excellent ones. My favorite is her new Resist 2% BHA liquid.

As far as oils, if Argan is working for you, I would continue to use it. I also like oil and use it every PM. My favorites are Mad Hippie Antioxidant Facial oil and Shea Terra Organics Argan and Rose blend.

If your skin is looking good, don't feel like you have to add something just because you turned 40. I have dark spots so I have to use more than just moisturizer if I want to target them and help prevent new ones.

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with Katcat1! The Acure night cream is the bomb! I use it day and night and as a makeup base. Love how it seems to tighten my skin and smooth it out. Also like the Lavender scent and that it is in a tube (so you don't have to dunk your fingers into it). I have a few other products in their line and am sooooo happy to have found them. Thanks Kat for recommending this line...oh and affordable!. Drugstore.com also carries Acure and sometimes has great sales on skin care items. I'd like one of each please!

Super Contributor

40? You're old enough to be my little sister!Wink Happy Birthday!

Keep using the sunscreen, that's the most important thing. If the moisturizer you use has it and it does not bother you, keep it up. Don't be surprised if one day it seems to be irritating, I have dry sensitive skin and found that switching to another brand once and a while helps ( I like Eucerin Daily Protectant ). More moisturizer doesn't always mean better, just make sure you use it consistently day and night. I do use 'Pond's for extra dry skin' at night.

All the beauty products out there won't do anything as well as eating as healthy as possible! Keeping yourself hydrated is very important, not just for beauty and skin anti aging, but to keep your body's system running smoothly internally.

Honored Contributor

Those are both good products. You might want to add the Boots No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Serum. I also like their Protect & Perfect Hand Cream with SPF 15. My age shows more on my hands than on my face, so I use my face serums and creams on my hands, neck and chest, as well as my face.

Super Contributor

I always hear using Vitamin C products are recommended for over 40yr old skin. Especially if you're feeling like your skin looks more dull. I know a lot of lines have vitamin C products, I like Serious Skin Care's products, and they have a Vitamin C line (I like their Vitamin A line (Retinol), just FYI!

Respected Contributor

You're wise to start now. Preventing lines and wrinkles is possible - trying to get rid of them (without Botox or fillers) not so much. I've used an eye cream since I was 30 - over 30 years - and I have zero lines around my eyes so that's one thing I'd really recommend. I wish I had know to concentrate on my forehead - probably should have been using retinol years ago. The nasal labia fold area is another area to pay attention to. Altho I don't have a problem there - mine are at/below the corners of my mouth. So I agree - Vit C serum during the day under moisturizer - Retinol at night. Good eye cream. I honestly don't think it's what brand you use - just so you use something daily/nightly. Altho the older you get you may have to change brands as/if your skin changes or if you feel what you're using isn't working as well. And yes sunscreen is essential. I've also worn sunglasses basically 24/7 since I was in my mid teens - helps prevent the eye lines and protects your vision too

Super Contributor

MOISTURIZER IS PARAMOUNT !!!!!! In fact moisturizer should be part of your beauty routine in your 20s and 30s .... Also sunscreen.....which fortunately is incorporated into moisturizers and makeup these days. Above all else a good cleanser at night to remove all make up !

My suggestions seem very basic but sometimes women just don't seem to consider them important.

Super Contributor

I've been taking care of my skin including anti-aging since my early 20's (I'm 37 now), but still show the most signs of aging by my eyes unfortunately, mostly smile lines, but still! I agree, at the very least serum, moisturize, sunscreen & wash your face every night before bed, in the morning then start all over again.