Contributor

HELP......DYED HAIR TOO DARK!

Sorry ladies if this has been discussed before, but I dyed my hair too dark and want to lighten it up. I've tried Dawn dish detergent and also a clarifying shampoo. It's only been two days since I dyed it. Any suggestions that I can do at home without stripping the color completely out? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: HELP......DYED HAIR TOO DARK!

I did the same thing about 8 months ago using a permanent color. Nothing I tried lifted the color. You might call Sally's Beauty Supply if you have one near you. There may be a more professional product that you may be able to try.

I ended up going to my hairdresser. She didn't lift the color on my whole head, rather lightened sections and I was able to live with that.

Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 Allegheny said:

I did the same thing about 8 months ago using a permanent color. Nothing I tried lifted the color. You might call Sally's Beauty Supply if you have one near you. There may be a more professional product that you may be able to try.

I ended up going to my hairdresser. She didn't lift the color on my whole head, rather lightened sections and I was able to live with that.

I agree, have some highlights put in and it will change the whole look til you can have it back where you would like...I have been their too!!..

Super Contributor

If you want to try one more product ... try John Frieda's ""Go Blonder"" shampoo and conditioner. You can find it in just about any drugstore.

I lighten my hair and always use Go Blonder the next day to remove some of the color.

Honored Contributor

The product to lift the color is called Color Oops. It's at Walmart, Target for under $10

Respected Contributor

On 8/12/2014 wagirl said:

The product to lift the color is called Color Oops. It's at Walmart, Target for under $10

This is a good suggestion. I also think adding highlights is a good idea. I had my hair dyed once at a beauty school. They didn't have many color choices so it was too dark. I went to a professional who added highlights that really helped. I will never go to a beauty school again. That was a big mistake.

Honored Contributor

I have the same problem. I only use semi permanent hair dye. No matter what shade I choose my hair always comes out darker than I like. If I choose a too light shade it doesn't cover the few grays I have. I usually just live with the color until the next time I color my hair. Good luck with whatever you decide to try!
Super Contributor

I just did this. What worked was using Prell. I put Prell on my hair, let it sit 25 minutes, then washed it out and conditioned. I had to repeat this 3 times, but my hair was a black/brown color. It did lighten and I was OK for my meeting, but it was not completely even in color. The hair toward the roots was more stripped so the roots were slightly lighter. I have longer curly/wavy hair so it is very forgiving of anything uneven in most cases since the curls hide alot. The next weekend I used a medium brown single process hair color from the drug store and it took beautifully.

Honored Contributor

You must apply the clarifying or dandruff shampoo to DRY hair for them to work. Lather on DRY hair, let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing, you can repeat.