Honored Contributor

Gua Sha - Chinese Facial Scraping?

Has anyone ever tried this and experience long term success?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Gua Sha - Chinese Facial Scraping?

JeanLoise, it might be called "microblading" here: I'm curious about it too. There is an esthetician in our town who does permanent MU, but working with him is an ARNP who is advertised as the one with the microblading expertise.

I have no interest in permanent MU, but the microblading I want to find out more about....such as certification and credentialing and for those who offer it, are they working under the auspices of a MD or DO who is Board Certified.

I don't know if this is something like microdermabrasion or a few steps beyond.  I wonder what the "after care" is like.  I don't think there is downtime or bandages, but I'm curious.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

No this is different @Poodlepet2. Gua Sha is not for exfoliation, it works at deeper levels of the skin to stimulate microcirculation, build collagen and elastin to prevent and/or treat wrinkles, sagging, etc. It's done with a special jade stone and there's a specific technique as to how one "scrapes" with said stone.
Respected Contributor

Ok....I just googled this.  Th results look like torture.  I know some facials and other procedures look like this, but with my fibromyalgia, this would kill me.  I can't even go to the chiropractor right now because I'm so sensitive to touch.  I would have to hear from someone I know, many someones, and go their person if it was successful.  We don't have alternative medicine place around here.  The closest are massage therapists, a lady that does essential oils, and a chiropractor.  The closest to Asian ancient medicine is the local Chinese restaurants and the nail salons.  That is it for diversity.  The pictures of this are not encouraging to look at.

Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Ok....I just googled this.  Th results look like torture.  I know some facials and other procedures look like this, but with my fibromyalgia, this would kill me.  I can't even go to the chiropractor right now because I'm so sensitive to touch.  I would have to hear from someone I know, many someones, and go their person if it was successful.  We don't have alternative medicine place around here.  The closest are massage therapists, a lady that does essential oils, and a chiropractor.  The closest to Asian ancient medicine is the local Chinese restaurants and the nail salons.  That is it for diversity.  The pictures of this are not encouraging to look at.

@Tigriss, I am so sorry that you're in pain.

I'm not a skin tool person, but even if I were, I wouldn't get ten feet close to something that bears the description of this one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I KNOW! The pictures of this are horrible. It is supposed to stimulate the body to release histamines, so some kind of detox. As for the tool being jade, not all the ones I saw in the pictures were, but people change things. It really causes the body to rupture the capilaries under the skin causing bruising and the body to go in and re-heal it. I'll skip this one if you don't mind. With the weather being 80 one day and 20s a few days later for the highs....I'll skip it.
Honored Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I KNOW! The pictures of this are horrible. It is supposed to stimulate the body to release histamines, so some kind of detox. As for the tool being jade, not all the ones I saw in the pictures were, but people change things. It really causes the body to rupture the capilaries under the skin causing bruising and the body to go in and re-heal it. I'll skip this one if you don't mind. With the weather being 80 one day and 20s a few days later for the highs....I'll skip it.

@Tigriss, call me skeptical, but I think this is yet another example of people cashing on the theory that Asians know all they mysteries of good skincare. If you listen to the spiel from Tatcha and others, it becomes very obvious.

A special tool made from jade? It just never ends. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

JeanLoise, it might be called "microblading" here: I'm curious about it too. There is an esthetician in our town who does permanent MU, but working with him is an ARNP who is advertised as the one with the microblading expertise.

I have no interest in permanent MU, but the microblading I want to find out more about....such as certification and credentialing and for those who offer it, are they working under the auspices of a MD or DO who is Board Certified.

I don't know if this is something like microdermabrasion or a few steps beyond.  I wonder what the "after care" is like.  I don't think there is downtime or bandages, but I'm curious.

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2   Microblading is semi-permanent "makeup" for your brows.  It supposedly lasts from 1 - 3 years, but many articles I've read state 1 1/2 years is average.  I've seen many pics of "before and after," and the "after" brows look so natural.  There are a few people in my city who offer microblading, and I'm thinking of having it done.  It's fairly expensive -- it's minimum $500 and upward.  My natural brows are "okay," but I would like them to appear a little fuller, and a little darker (my natural brow color is light ash blonde). I've been following an Instagram page for a few months of someone in my area who does microblading, and I like her work, but I think I'd still like to see one of her clients' "in person," just to see what it truly looks like face-to-face.  The pics I've seen, though, look beautiful.  Some of the pics have shown people with extremely overplucked blows in their "before" pic, and the "after" pics look amazing.  Even the pics with people who just want fuller looking brows look amazing and super natural.  I really do think I'm going to do it, but I'm still a little nervous!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Trusted Contributor

@Tigriss@suzyQ3 I googled it and the facial version doesn't have the deep bruising.  Think massage with a tool.  The one I saw was sandalwood.  Kind of interesting.  @JeanLouiseFinch try it and let us know what you think😁

Respected Contributor

For eyebrows, why don't you go to a tattoo artist.  They do know what they are doing if you get a good one.  Many women have a tattoo artist tat on their nipples after a mastectomy.  Tat artists are much better at it than the docs are, after all, it is body ART not medicine.