Honored Contributor
When I first saw gray .. I lightened my hair to camouflage them. I felt dark roots were preferable to gray ones that I watched my mother deal with.

Skip ahead 27 years... I just went natural six months ago. Just white around my forehead and temples .. loving how it looks and getting great feedback on my new look.

Also got some jazzy new eyeglasses and new cut. Never going back to coloring!
Honored Contributor

Forgot to add that my every 3 week color appts. were running my schedule. Travel revolved around whether to do roots before we left. My appt. would be before we'd get home and look awful so had them colored 2 wks. apart to take care of a 10 day trip...it was ridulous. Now I just think about a cut and don't schedule those ahead since growing out my layers. I wait until it gets to a weird stage and a needs little something to look OK while growing out some more length. 

Honored Contributor

Geez, I HATE roots showing---don't like the current thing about letting them show either or putting them in on purpose---good grief---thats why I stopped doing any color to my grey-ish, light brown-ish combo---too much work, time and $$ to keep up

Regular Contributor

Tgbgt,

I am so relieved that you understood...Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grey Roots...

[ Edited ]

I colored my hair from 32 to 63 and kept the cost under control by usually doing it myself.  After retirement it became difficult as I was frequently travelling (many dead towels) so I went natural. Two buzz cuts and that was it!  I wear it long and now it has a slight curl, so it is easy to care for (just trims 4 times a year).  I did adjust my makeup and some clothing colors. I love it and so does DH and my expenditures are a 10th of what they were!

Honored Contributor

Gwyneth Paltrow sported her grey roots with pride at this year's Golden Globe Awards. The 47-year-old wore her blonde hair parted in the middle with silver-flecked roots on show for the prestigious red carpet event in Los Angeles on Sunday night.

Gwyneth Paltrow displays her naturally grey roots at the Golden Globes. [Photo: Getty]

How does her grey roots look?

Respected Contributor

@likeitis wrote:

Ok, so you all know how it has been stylish for the past several years, for women to wear blonde hair with shades of dark color roots?

Well, I was just wondering if the trend could become popular to have our blonde hair with grey roots..

I have a whole bunch of friends who would love that to be fashionable..come onSmiley Tongue

Saw a woman at the post office recently who needed a touchup, and it just looked bad. Not awful, but not good. Hadn't known she had so much grey/white hair. Now I do. Not a good look.

I don't think dark roots have ever been stylish. Trendy, maybe, but not stylish. IMNHO.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

Gwyneth Paltrow sported her grey roots with pride at this year's Golden Globe Awards. The 47-year-old wore her blonde hair parted in the middle with silver-flecked roots on show for the prestigious red carpet event in Los Angeles on Sunday night.

Gwyneth Paltrow displays her naturally grey roots at the Golden Globes. [Photo: Getty]

How does her grey roots look?

It looks like she missed her hairdresser appointment. Not only because of the roots, but because the roots look greasy. She's only 47? Huh. I do like her mother.

Honored Contributor

@likeitis  To each his own but it depends on how it looks.  If you like it, wear it.  Grey hair actually mixes in well with blond (you can hardly see it).  I love my salt & pepper hair. When I was growing in my gray, I had my hair cut in short layers and it did not take long to become salt & pepper. My brown hair actually turned dark brown with the silver.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Well I am just 😳 stunned...I can’t believe those pictures of Gwenyth Paltrow. Thank you ladies, for posting them. How enlightening!

I saw her at the Golden Globes (hated her dress)..but didn’t notice the roots. You are right, looks like she missed her hair appointment.

Now I know that she’s a health nut (nothing wrong with that).. but maybe she’s decided to go natural??