Respected Contributor

badly Hooded eyes, No creams, serums potions or lotions can fix. you know like eyes shown in befores and afters where the afters look the same. my eyes were the afters.

thursday will be 4 weeks.PS said no eyeshadow yet mascara ok. but i'm giving things time. still a bit red at incision site.

not gonna say i look about 20 yrs younger, but da3n my eyes look amazing... shoulda done it sooner. and the crinklies are gone too!

Frequent Contributor

My eyes are hooded too and I think worse since I had cataract surgery. My left eye has always been hooded, even as a child. 

Did your eye dr refer you to a plastic surgeon or did you find one on your own? Did insurance cover any of the procedure.

Glad you are pleased with the results. I'm seriously thinking of having it done too.

Respected Contributor

@ByrdieK    no, i am on Medicare and it wasn't covered.  Medicare reimbursement is so poor in my state, doctors are no longer taking it.   my eye doctor referred to my Oculoplastic  PS because my eye doctor no longer does eye surgeries (other than cataract) 

i had 4 different doctor's eye surgery  consultations over the years, i think my first one was in 2010.  mostly fear of going under the knife kept me from going ahead with it.

i was awake during the procedure, i was given Ativan which kind of put me in a trance.

Respected Contributor

If your eye hooding is causing vision imparement it MAY be covered by Medicare. 

Medicare Benefits for Blepharoplasty

If your eyelid surgery is medically necessary to improve function or ability, it is considered reconstructive surgery. Because blepharoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, it may be covered by Original Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance), or Medicare Advantage (Part C). If the eyelid surgery is for cosmetic purposes, Medicare recipients do not have coverage.

Respected Contributor

IMO an eye job is really the only remedy, no potions, creams, gels will do the same.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

If your eye hooding is causing vision imparement it MAY be covered by Medicare. 

Medicare Benefits for Blepharoplasty

If your eyelid surgery is medically necessary to improve function or ability, it is considered reconstructive surgery. Because blepharoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, it may be covered by Original Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance), or Medicare Advantage (Part C). If the eyelid surgery is for cosmetic purposes, Medicare recipients do not have coverage.

My older sister had this surgery and it was covered by Medicare.  You have to fail a visual field test in order to be eligible.

The surgery really made a difference, but now years later, her eyes lids are drooping again.  Since she no longer drives, she has decided to live with it.

The effects of this surgery is short lived if you are older when you have it done.

Honored Contributor

@ByrdieK My ophthalmologist wanted me to have the surgery because he had to hold my eye open so he could examine it.  I would have gone more years without doing the procedure except that he also felt if I got a little more light in the eye, I see a little better.

I went to a surgeon who is himself an ophthalmologist with a concentration in facial reconstruction which included what he did for me.  When I went for a consultation first, he took lots of pictures and submitted them to my insurance company for authorization to do the surgery.  It was approved and Medicare paid all but my usual co-pays.  

Be careful with any elective procedures to know whether you need prior authorization.  Companies don't pay when you assume they'll pay for what you feel they should!  

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline --that is great!!! I have bags under my eyes--since I was a teenager ---so am seriously thinking of getting them taken care of this year. Nothing but a scalpel will fix them!

Honored Contributor

@ByrdieK ..............I dont know your age but Medicare will pay for a blethroplasty if your vision is impaired.

I like you had hooded eyes all my life.  My right one is worse than my left.  But when I had my eye exam last month they dont obscure my vision yet.  Eye doc recommended waiting until my vision is affected so Medicare will pay for it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

You have to fail a visual field test in order to be eligible.

Can you please send me a cheat sheet.  I need to know how NOT to answer (g)  Mine are hooded but not enough to need surgery except for cosmetic reasons.