Trusted Contributor

Over the past year I have developed rosacea.  It is on both sides of my face, in the area right between my nose and mouth.  It is particularly bad on the areas about 1 inch away from the corners of my mouth an nose and on my chin.  I have normal to dry skin.

When I asked the derm about it, she said I would just have to experiment???!!???

When I asked about a cleansing and moisturizing routine, she said mild and hypo-allergenic!!??!!

Aside fromthe fact that I need a new dermatologist, she gave me absolutely NOTHING to go on.  Before I do or purchase anything, I wanted to come to you, my friends with knowledge and experience to see what you think.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Good Foundation for Rosacea

@Quinny

Here are my go-to's ... I have the same problems.

100% Pure liquid foundation ... very effective and soothing

faerieorganic mineral foundation veil and bronzers -- always dependable and these also heal

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I also have rosacea (controlled with a low dose of medication). My dermatologist has given me lots of advice. I can wear whatever foundation I want, but what's UNDER it is what's important. She told me to use gentle products for sensitive skin - no abrasives or brushes. My skin is combination, neither too oily or too dry. I just recently started using Josie Maran's argon oil at night. In the morning I use an unscented sunscreen and that's it. She said the fewer products I could get away with, the better. I don't use much! 

I like a number of foundations. Laura Geller Balance and Brighten is one of my favorites. I also like IT cosmetics' CC Veil SPF50 Cushion Compact Foundation. I use various other brands too from time to time! My favorite light foundation is Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Cream (in a tube).

I agree with you @Quinny - I think you should look for another dermatologist! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps -- the reason the derm said that is because rosacea is one area where nothing is the same for everyone.

I do love 100% Pure skin care or LaRoche Posay (they have a special rosacea care line); I like Face Stockholm for makeup.

I can't do Bare Minerals at all, something in it turns me as red as a tomato and I just itch itch itch itch until I have to sit on my hands to keep from scratching my skin off.  Same with some of Josie's creams. 

Please don't rely on salespeople at retail stores; they are trying to sell---not save your face.  Ask for samples.  Take them home and try ONE on your face.  If that seems ok, then next day try another sample.  Only one at a time so you know when something negatively effects your skin you can stop and go back to square one.

Try Autopalm as a moisturizer when you're have really bad attacks.

Keep the ingredients in your products---whatever products---simple.  As few unpronounceables as you can manage.  Be VERY CAREFUL with salycilic or BHA's.

Try the web sites for rosacea dot org.  You will most likely also have to avoid all alcohol and most (hot) spices. 

Too warm showers will leave you red for an hour or so, so plan for that and do the shower either before bed or do it very first thing when getting up and then do breakfast and your hair, and then makeup last.

There are a number of reference books out on the subject; try Beating Rosacea by Dr, Geoffrey Nase, or Skin Type by Leslie Baumann.

Best thing is to realize that --- everybody has something to deal with, just take it easy, and laugh.

Respected Contributor

You got some good advice already....I have had rosacea for 15yrs or more now....and experiementing was the only way to find out what didn't upset my skin more.  Get samples of foundations and face washes if possible and always purchase/save reciept so you can take it right back!

For myself the rule is less is best.  I use either LaRoche Posay Toleriane facial cleanser....for Intolerant skin or Paula's choice Earth Sourced Perfectly Natural Cleanser...it does a better job of removing my foundation...so I use that at night and Toleriane in the am.

Foundation....best I ever found is Revlon....colorstay for DRY skin formula...I use a foundation brush...not the flat kind...it looks like a puffy one it's by IT cosmetics and came with one of their compact ones (which didn't work for me but that brush is awesome) so I use it to apply.  This foundation covers very well and isn't impossible to remove either.  

I swear by SPF....all year round....I use SPF 70 Ultra Guard...by Coppertone.  No smell...no burning reactions...great protection.  

Rosacea is so difficult BUT once you find out what doesn't make it worse it can be managed.  Mine is all over my entire face....I did many IPL facial treatments to help with the burning sensation and redness over the yrs....broad band light machine worked the best for me.

Patch test anything you try....one thing at a time. HTH

Respected Contributor

The owner of It Cosmetics has Rosacea.  She says she developed her foundation to cover up her Rosacea.  Take a look at the video's.  Her makeup seems to do the trick.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Over the past year I have developed rosacea.  It is on both sides of my face, in the area right between my nose and mouth.  It is particularly bad on the areas about 1 inch away from the corners of my mouth an nose and on my chin.  I have normal to dry skin.

When I asked the derm about it, she said I would just have to experiment???!!???

When I asked about a cleansing and moisturizing routine, she said mild and hypo-allergenic!!??!!

Aside fromthe fact that I need a new dermatologist, she gave me absolutely NOTHING to go on.  Before I do or purchase anything, I wanted to come to you, my friends with knowledge and experience to see what you think.  Thank you!

@Quinny

Did your derm. give you anything to use?  I am using Metrogel and it has helped with the redness a great deal.  My derm. would not recommend any lotions or cosmetics for me either.  Saying only --- stay away from products with fragrance.  Do not use scrubs, or retonoids, etc.  Gentle is the key word.  Always use sunscreen.  I am afraid that what others have said seems to be very true.  It is trial and error and what works for one does not necessarily work for another.  It is very frustrating.  I have also found as far as cleansers that foaming or soapy ones are very irritating.  I look for creamy formulas.  

A good concealer with a little makeup sponge will be your best friend!!!  Some days all I do is use the concealer instead of a makeup and then apply a mineral powder over top.  This is not irritating and covers well.  Physicians Formula works well for me.  I understand that Clinique has a line for redness but I have not tried it.  Best of luck!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone's skin is different; everyone's rosacea is different.  It's all been trial and error for me.  The product that broke me out the worst was the topical medication the dermatologist gave me!   I finally have a routine that works  with no big flares in the last several years.   But what works for me may not work for you.  That said, I've used CG AquaSmooth for 30 years.  Doesn't irritate my complexion and has great coverage.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have a very mild case. I use IT Cosmetics CC Cream, Celebration Foundation or Pur Minerals. I combine the Pur Minerals with the Celebration and it gives me a flawless finish and color.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

younguide

I have tried everything my derm has to offer over the years. She did reccomend Cerave cleanser. Purity was antagonizing my problem. I use Solantra when I flare. It's $300 a tube so she saves samples for me. No products with acids retinol or abrasion. It really is trial and error.I use original BE, Halo or serum foundation. I hope you find something that works for you. I got a cortisone shot before my sons wedding, myskin looked really good.