Honored Contributor

Re: Geller Bankruptcy Latest Update

@Puppy Lips@IntoSkincare@jackthebear

Got it! Thanks!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Okay, thank you for the update.  I thought all contracts were usually voided during bankruptcy.  At any rate, Q will have to impose less onerous conditions if it wants to continue selling Laura Geller.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips That's exactly what I thought as well.  I always wondered how they could sell so many items and then get them mailed out so quickly not knowing how it worked. 

It was an interview Chaz Dean did YEARS ago that discussed how  QVC purchased XYZ amount and if a TSV,  how whatever didn't sell the vendor had to buy back. The person conducting the interview had asked if he was really surprised when a QVC host would state the price about something and the vendor would mutter in a surprised tone "I can NOT understand how QVC can sell it so low!!". It was discussed how the vendor gets paid their  amount up front and then QVC prices it as they choose. Then, the remainder is placed into back stock/warehouse for a certain amount of time. TSV's are bough back if it doesn't sell out. Made sense to me. The Joy Spin-mop thing worked that way as well (as per the movie).

Obviously they've changed it.

Respected Contributor

I would prefer to buy my cosmetics from Ulta or the Bare Minerals stores now.  This sounds shady to me.  Or maybe I'm not understanding.

Esteemed Contributor

@IntoSkincare wrote:

I also believe Francesco Clark bought Clark's Botanicals back last week...

Right.  After the sale of the whole package to AS Beauty, Francesco Clark bought Botanicals back from them.  Too complicated for me at this point!

Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager

thank you for posting this.
i find it very intriguing.

one sells their company to a larger company for a big pay check, then the larger company files bankruptcy.

why sell your company, knowing that some others before you that have done this, did not fare well in the long term. never mind having to scale down the quality ingredients to be able to hit the larger companies dollar amounts.

probably should have gone to shark tank or gone on the profit tv show. at least, you would still be able to have some control, of something that you put your heart and soul into, never mind the amount of sleep and life you gave up.

no, i'm not blaming the companies that sold out, i just honestly don't understand how one gives up their baby, so to speak. i would rather make less money and negotiate slightly better terms on my own, then to have people that don't care much about me or my company to tell me what to do. and then have the audacity to file bankruptcy.

as my grandmother would say, "the bigger they are, the harder they fall".

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

For those interested, the assets of Glansoal, including Laura Geller businesses, were sold to the successful bidder, AS Beauty (owner of E.L.F.) on January 29th and the sale closed February 6th.

There were several other bids for the assets, including one which wanted only Julep (successful bids had to be for Geller, Julep and Clarks Botanicals assets).

One of the contracts rejected in bankruptcy court was with QVC QVC contracts are notoriously unfriendly to makeup/skincare vendors and was one of the compelling factors drinving the company into bankruptcyRejecting the contract with court approval may allow the brand to go elsewhere. I suspect that Geller products may remain with QVC but under renegotiated terms.

@Johnnyeager

From my point of view - if you are going to make a contract with anyone - you should have legal representation to protect your rights.  

"Notoriously unfriendly" indicates to me that if was general knowledge. 

Who in their right mind goes into contract on terms that might lead one to bankruptcy?  

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Johnnyeager

From my point of view - if you are going to make a contract with anyone - you should have legal representation to protect your rights.  

"Notoriously unfriendly" indicates to me that if was general knowledge. 

Who in their right mind goes into contract on terms that might lead one to bankruptcy?  

yes, one should have legal representation. additionally, i think company owners would do themselves a favor by taking enough law school classes to be able to read and understand the contracts that their lawyers say are ok to sign. nothing beats understanding what you are signing first hand.

my theory is if a company wants to buy your company for 20 million for example, your company is probably really worth 40 million.

you'd be surprised what some will do for a multi million dollar check, and not give much thought to what could happen down the road.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@jackthebear

What is “selling via SM?” 

Thanks...I am unaware of the term SM

@LTT1 .. thanks for asking.... I don’t know what SM stands for either 😃

Esteemed Contributor

When private equity gets involved in financing a company they saddle that company with a lot of debt that a lot of times the company can't handle so down the road that company ends up having to declare bankruptcy.