Trusted Contributor

Foundation Sponge or Fingers

I recently purchased the new RMS foundation (which I quite like) directly from their website and a foundation sponge was included with the purchase.   I tried the sponge and think I prefer to apply using my fingers but I am going to try working with the sponge again.  I have a MAC foundation brush that I like using (at least with MAC foundations) but guess I have just not mastered the sponge yet.  

What is your preferred method of applying foundation - fingers, brush, or sponge?  Any tricks to use with the sponge?  Do you use your sponge damp or dry?  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Foundation Sponge or Fingers

I prefer the IT cosmetic foundation brush for the foundation application because it works with all types of oundation. Second is the Doll10 makeup sponge. It seems to be cut at different angles and is easy to use. U sually wet mine but only so it is damp. Last would be fingers. I think it's just a matter of preference and what is comfortable for you.  

Honored Contributor

i always use a dense brush for foundation......buff, buff, buff.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 60 first used a sponge while watching my dear aunt do it at the age of 18. Never went back to my fingers.  Dear Auntie is still using a sponge today too. (apply dry)

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Sponge damp. I liked the Clarisonic foundation brush too but they're defunct now.

Honored Contributor

Fingers:  clean, inexpensive, no wasted product, body heat blends foundation well.

Honored Contributor

I use a brush or a barely damp sponge.  Never my fingers as I don't think it looks good on me done that way.  Like the coverage better with a sponge or a brush.  Always a damp sponge though, never a dry one. 

Honored Contributor

@naturalfan - I too like the new rms foundation! Really nice that Q offered us such a GREAT TSV 💗

With the exception of the LG BnB pressed foundation, I apply liquid foundations with my fingers. I place dots of it on forehead, nose, chin and blend outwardly. Sometimes I use a foundation brush or damp sponge to refine the 'blend'.

For the LG BnB foundation, I use a dense kabuki brush.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find it quick and easy to use my fingers but I would like to get better at using a sponge.  When using a sponge, it needs to be damp.  Get it wet and then squeeze it out super good.  I'll put it inside a clean washcloth and squeeze a little more. 

Respected Contributor

I feel fancier when I use a sponge or brush, but my liquid foundation looks nice when I apply it with my fingers.

It's fast, easy, cleans up easily & it looks nice.

I adjust daily, though. Some days I want to use a brush. So I do. Or I may want to use a sponge, so I do.

I don't think there is a universal "best" way.