Esteemed Contributor

Re: Foundation Sponge or Fingers

I use the Tarte Shape Tape.  It comes with a small purple sponge.  But I find I do better just using my fingers.  If I do use the sponge, then I have to rinse it out over and over and that just adds to my time to get ready in the morning.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@naturalfan 

In my experience, the sponges that come with foundations is trash and goes in my trashcan.  Depending on the foundation, I use fingers, sponge and/or a brush.  Rarely fingers altho I did use them with my Lancome liquid foundation a couple of days ago to spread it out and then a sponge.  You can use a sponge dry or damp.  A damp sponge will sheer out the foundation more but a dry one tends to soak up the foundation but soaks it up less as you use the sponge again and again.  If I use a brush, I'll go over my face lightly (pressing/dabbing) with a sponge to get rid of any brush strokes there might be.

Trusted Contributor

I use all -- fingers, sponge (wet- beauty blender) or a brush. 

It just depends on how much time I have, the product used and the coverage I need. 

Fingers:  in a rush, with creams or liquids

brush-- quick blending of concealer on a spot or under eyes or light powder (bare minerals) all over (most days I do this)

beauty blender-- always wet.  blending foundation and concealer together or going over my entire made up face to set some powder.

I also keep a little brush in my purse for touch ups.  I don't always use more product. there might be a little on the brush. I have found just touching up with the brush without more product, is a good enough.  It doesn't look too cakey or like I have too much make up on. I hate to look like I am too made up.  

Honored Contributor

@naturalfan wrote:

I recently purchased the new RMS foundation (which I quite like) directly from their website and a foundation sponge was included with the purchase.   I tried the sponge and think I prefer to apply using my fingers but I am going to try working with the sponge again.  I have a MAC foundation brush that I like using (at least with MAC foundations) but guess I have just not mastered the sponge yet.  

What is your preferred method of applying foundation - fingers, brush, or sponge?  Any tricks to use with the sponge?  Do you use your sponge damp or dry?  Thanks.

@naturalfan   I think with a light to medium coverage like RMS, I'd use my fingers. It covers easily and doesn't need buffing w/ a brush. If you feel it "dragging", you may wan to add more moisturizer to prep your skin the next time.

With foundations that have more coverage or are thicker, I buff them into the skin with a brush and finish pressing into the skin w/ a damp blender sponge.

Honored Contributor

Damp Beauty Blender Sponge for me, great coverage and super easy to use.....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like a very dense brush, I use the Artis oval 6 or 7.  Sometimes I will use my fingers.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

I could never get that air brushed looked with my fingers.  A damp sponge is my preferred method.  Real Techniques is the brand I use.

Real tech sponge.jpg

Respected Contributor

I think it deprnds on the product, the coverage you want and there are times I don't want to mess around getting product all over my hands. I have used sponges, brushes and/or my fingers. I don't stick to one thing.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Nothing but an IT double-ended brush for me. I own several. Swirl, swirl, buff, buff to get smooth coverage.

I wash my brushes every time I use them. My IT brushes are several years old and still like new.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a brush to apply foundation.  I used to use my fingers but a brush works much better for me.