Honored Contributor

First curling iron in 30 to 40 years

[ Edited ]

Was going to ask for some tips but I knew somebody would pipe up and say don't burn yourself. Should have asked... I burned myself twice 😩 Everyone in my family, including myself thinks my hair looks better a little longer than I normally wear it... A little longer than the picture I sent to the list of my brother and me. The reason I can't wear it a little longer is because the top part of my head won't hold the style at that length, so I decided to try a curling iron to see if that would help. It does! I'm very happy with how it looks and I know I'll continue to get better as I practice. I don't remember heat protectant products back when I use the curling iron in my twenties and maybe 30s. Maybe I just didn't know to look. These two products are what I use on my hair every time I wash it, plus big sexy hair root pump and powder play.20221002_162016.jpgDo you think either one of these two products will help protect my hair from the curling iron or do I need to get a dedicated heat protectant product?  I'll be using a curling iron mostly once a week possibly twice.   Thanks ladies

Honored Contributor

Re: First curling iron in 30 to 40 years

You need a heat protectant.  Most contain silicones as they are excellent for that purpose, but you will need a shampoo with sulfates to get them out of your hair so you don't get buildup.  

Respected Contributor

I have very thick, wavy hair about shoulder length. I typically let it air dry after using josie marans argan oil hair serum (love) on my wet hair.  However, there are times when I want a more polished look, so I have learned the "new" way of quickly dragging the curling iron through my hair for those loose super smooth waves.  I started out using a heat protectant, but it made my hair feel dirty so I quit using it. I'm not much of a make up or product person anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me.  The iron only touches my hair for maybe 3 seconds a section and I only do the front.   My iron has a smooth coating on it. It's not shiny metal.   I have found out that at 67, less is more. The less stuff I use in my hair the better it looks. Same with makeup...barely there looks better than the full monty, but that's just me😏

Have fun with the hot iron...practice definitely makes for perfect hair. You will get there!

Honored Contributor

Thanks @bmorechick and @Icegoddess 

Not sure I need anything else to make my hair feel dirty.  The BSH Powder Play already gives it a grit I wish I didn't have to have (to get the style I want)  My hair is healthy but that's probably because I don't (or didn't) use heat on it except a blow dryer once or twice a week.  It also hasn't seen a brush in decades.  I turn it upside and and floof Smiley Happy  When I have my hair cut, I won't need to use the curling iron till it grows out again.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm Yeah I agree with you about only using the heat every now and then and healthy hair. I wash my hair every day or every other day, depending on how hard I work out but  I only use that iron maybe once a week and I too don't own a hairbrush. My fingers are my brush or if needed, I have a wide toothed comb.  And I do color my greys, but no bleaching.  

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick 

We're  hair twins Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Every time I've tried the Moroccan Oil products, they weigh my hair down. I've used a few drops of Chi oil in the palms of my hands, run it through my hair (on the fine side) then use a medium heated iron. I also tried Paul Mitchell heat protectant, but it had so much alcohol in it, it made my hair sticky. It all depends with the heat protectant are made of. The silicones will weigh down your hair, so use them sparingly.

Trusted Contributor

@ monicakm

I do love the Moroccan oil texture spray. I haven't tried that nym's bottle in the pic but am thinking of trying the sea salt spray. I bought a new curling iron for exactly the same reason that you gave for using one. The new iron was a Hot Tools one and I hate it so bad, I'm off to look for another.
From someone who uses hot tools everyday and has fine hair.... I would only mist lightly and let it dry slightly before using the iron.
Nothing like a great hair day... Even better than a great makeup day for me 😎
Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

What did  you not like about the Hot Tools curling iron?  I don't like the Conair curling iron because it burned me...twice Smiley Sad  Nah, I'll get better at using it and hopefully won't singe my fingers too often.

Trusted Contributor

@ monicakm
The clamp catches my hair and pulls it no matter how careful I am. My old trusty Conair never did that.
My hair also slips off the barrel.
It's weird. Must be the design.