Honored Contributor

Finally, Something that worked for my Cuticles

I have posted a couple of times about the cuticles on a couple of my fingers being hard.  I have had this problem for years, and it doesn't help that I pick at them, but it seems they actually overgrow.  Awhile back I got a cuticle cream that had glycolic acid in it called CND Cuticle Eraser from Ulta.  I was hoping the exfoliation would help.  They did get better, but I was thinking about getting a stronger glycolic solution to help things along, but hadn't gotten around to doing so.   I still had one finger in particular that had a hard spot where it felt like the hardness went all the way to the nail bed, and if that's the case, I doubted anything would work.  However, the other day the hard part peeled off and it seems to be gone.  It's the closest to normal my cuticles on those fingers have been in years.  It took quite awhile of religiously applying this cream every night since the beginning of the year, but it actually worked.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally, Something that worked for my Cuticles

@Icegoddess  There is a Sally Hanson product w/ salycilic acid that works nicely, too. After an acid treatment, you can further condition cuticles by massaging in any kind of oil.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   I agree with @Harpa . I use the Sally Hansen one and after leaving it on cuticles for about a minute (massaging it in), I push cuticles back gently w/ a wooden stick. The cuticles kind of dissolve and flake off easily. I use a soft nail brush to get the residue off, rinse, dry and apply any oil.

I've saved empty nail polish bottles so that I can pour my own more inexpensive oils in the bottle and brush it on morning and night. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  Thanks for the spelling correction!

(I just didn't use mine in a long time, and I thought the way I had spelled it looked odd.)

Honored Contributor

I may be incorrect, but I consider glycolic acid to be a more efficient exfoliator than salicylic acid.  What I am talking about is actually not technically my cuticles, but the skin that surrounds my nails. It's mostly on the side of the nails and for the middle finger is where a pencil would naturally rest when writing.   I don't feel a need to push anything back as my cuticles do not grow over my nail.  So, the only pushing back I do is from me rubbing the cream into the skin, but that's it.  I also don't wash the product off, and the directions do not say to do so.  It's one of the last things I do before going to bed at night. 

Respected Contributor

I have always liked CND nail polish so I will look for this.  What is the name of the Sally Hansen one?  I was at the store recently looking through all of their nail products and didn't come across anything like what is mentioned here.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa   I didn't even notice your spelling, just recommending the same or similar product.

Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal   Mine is Sally Hansen and called "Instant Cuticle Remover. It's in a blue plastic container a tip on the top. 

Respected Contributor

Organic cold-pressed coconut oil works well on cuticles and nails.  Just a dab will do ya.  Not sure if you've tried it or not but it absorbs well and is chemical and acid free.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing