Respected Contributor

Favorite cleanser/makeup remover?

What is your favorite nighttime cleanser that removes all makeup and cleanses in one step? I'm looking for a replacement for my Ponds cold cream cleanser because I'm looking for something that is cruelty free. I have dry skin and need something that won't dry out my skin, won't break me out, is cruelty free and doesn't cost a fortune. That's not too much to ask is it? Smiley Happy Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite cleanser/makeup remover?

Clinique Take The Day Off Balm

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I use DHC Cleansing Oil. It goes on sale occasionally for two-for-one but even a single bottle lasts a long time. After you apply it and rinse it off, you wash with your regular soap or cleanser. This is Japanese "double cleansing" and I find it leaves my face hydrated but removes eye makeup etc.

Frequent Contributor

Signature Club A Vanilla Meltdown

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

What is your favorite nighttime cleanser that removes all makeup and cleanses in one step? I'm looking for a replacement for my Ponds cold cream cleanser because I'm looking for something that is cruelty free. I have dry skin and need something that won't dry out my skin, won't break me out, is cruelty free and doesn't cost a fortune. That's not too much to ask is it? Smiley Happy Thanks!

You probably aren't going to like my answer.  I believe makeup removal and cleansing are two separate steps, and should be, in order to get one's skin completely clean and prepared for treatment products.  I start with a facial wipe (Skinn or Beekman for me) to remove the surface stuff.  Then I'll use Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil (or sometimes Skinn Olive & Enzyme PM Cleanser) to finish the job.  Both of these cleansers are very gentle and won't dry you out.  In fact, you can use the Skinn PM cleanser and a moisturizing mask too.

Honored Contributor

I use CVS cleansing clothes for sensitive skin.  They are wonderful!  For eye makeup I use Simple, the little wipes just for that purpose.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I just love the Tula cleanser.  You can get it right here on the Q.  It smells wonderful, easily takes off every bit of makeup and NEVER irritates my eyes.  Its the only cleanser that doesnt bother my eyes.  I just love it.

Contributor

Cetaphil (Gentle Cleanser) that you buy at the drugstore.   There's also a Cetaphil Daily Cleanser that lathers.  You can use that one as step 2 with the Clarisonic after makeup removed with the other but can use just the Cetaphil Gentle for both steps, as I do.  This product has been around for years.  It's super gentle and effective for even stubborn layers and loads of mascara.  No fragrance in the Cetaphil Gentel but a slight light scent for the Cetaphil that lathers.  Cruelty free?  I'm ashamed to say I didn't check.   I spend my beauty dollars on other products.  This one is super affordable, does a good job, is super gentle for sensitive skin (doesn't burn my eyes like Purity), and the big pump size lasts a long time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@rnmom wrote:

You probably aren't going to like my answer.  I believe makeup removal and cleansing are two separate steps, and should be, in order to get one's skin completely clean and prepared for treatment products.  I start with a facial wipe (Skinn or Beekman for me) to remove the surface stuff.  Then I'll use Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil (or sometimes Skinn Olive & Enzyme PM Cleanser) to finish the job.  Both of these cleansers are very gentle and won't dry you out.  In fact, you can use the Skinn PM cleanser and a moisturizing mask too.

I have to agree with Scout here.  I'm convinced women expect too much from their facial cleansers and because they want one product to do it all, they use too much and have it on their faces too long.  And because the product isn't efficient, women tend to scrub their skin, then wonder why their skin is irritated.

I use three items on my face:

1. Huggies Natural Care Plus wipes.

Costco sells these by the case and they're frequently on sale.  These are not flimsy -- they're triple-thick.  Just water, vitamin E and aloe.  Fragrance-free.  They do an amazing job of removing my makeup.  Again, I don't expect a wipe to remove everything and I don't scrub.

http://www.cms.kimberly-clark.com/umbracoimages/UmbracoFileMedia/Animal_Testing_Position_1-21-14_umb...

(This might disqualify them.)

2. Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser. 

It's a very thick cream that's designed for normal to dry, dry to very dry skin.  A 16-ounce bottle is $25, but I wait for Paula to have a sale and that's when I'll stock two or three bottles.  One bottle lasts a very long time. 

3. EcoTools Pure Complexion Facial Sponge for sensitive skin (Konjac sponge).

This inexpensive little item has changed my life.  I toss and replace every three months and I'll buy a bushel from drugstore.com when there's a good sale.

I put the Paula's Choice cleanser on my face and massage a bit before I do the same with the sponge.  I never used anything but my fingers to wash my face and now I'll never use anything but this sponge.  If they stop making these, I'm in trouble.  Never irritating, and I can use these on my eyes to take off the liner and mascara (I do use washable Full 'N Soft).

My skin actually looks and feels better with this combination.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Albolene.

Used it for years. Not sure about whether or not it is cruelty free.

I do know that my cat comes racing to the bathroom when I use it and tries like crazy to eat it from the jar.  I'm mostly successful keeping him away!

Good luck finding a new product. Sometimes the choices can feel overwhelming.