Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite cleanser/makeup remover?

I'm not certain the products I use are cruelty free, but I do agree with Miss Jean Louise about makeup removal and cleansing being two separate steps. I don't have dry or oily skin. 

I use Lancôme Bi-Facil to remove the eye makeup and just started to use the Neutrogena cleaning wipes to remove the foundation & blush as my cleanser. In the past, I have tried Neutrogena foaming cleanser and Olay foaming cleanser. I liked the Neutrogena one as it was not a controlled squirt out of the pump the way Olay released it. I'm reluctant to repurchase the Olay one, because I wasn't sure if the pump was defective or made to expel a specified amount.

I use Lancôme Tonique Radiance for normal/combination skin (blue bottle) on my face and lids. This further removes anything the cleanser didn't remove.

Then I apply any moisturizers or serums or night creams to my face.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I'm not certain the products I use are cruelty free, but I do agree with Miss Jean Louise about makeup removal and cleansing being two separate steps. I don't have dry or oily skin. 

I use Lancôme Bi-Facil to remove the eye makeup and just started to use the Neutrogena cleaning wipes to remove the foundation & blush as my cleanser. In the past, I have tried Neutrogena foaming cleanser and Olay foaming cleanser. I liked the Neutrogena one as it was not a controlled squirt out of the pump the way Olay released it. I'm reluctant to repurchase the Olay one, because I wasn't sure if the pump was defective or made to expel a specified amount.

I use Lancôme Tonique Radiance for normal/combination skin (blue bottle) on my face and lids. This further removes anything the cleanser didn't remove.

Then I apply any moisturizers or serums or night creams to my face.

Yes sadly not a single one of those brands are cruelty free. Neutrogena might claim to be, not sure, but it is owned by Johnson and Johnson which is one of the worst perpetrators of animal testing. Just and FYI for the OP.

Honored Contributor

I have used Paula's Choice as long as I can remember. But recently I tried IT's Bye, Bye Makeup. Right now, I'm liking that one! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated. 

Unfortunately, many of the suggestions are not cruelty free, like HappyDaze mentioned, and that's why I'm having such trouble finding a replacement for my Ponds. I will definitely check out a couple of the suggestions though, Pacifica, One love, Paula's choice are a couple of options for me. 

Has anyone tried Avalon organics cleansing oil? I saw that online and it looked nice. 

I've been using just plain coconut oil here the last week or so and it does a good job taking everything off. I've been breaking out lately though and I don't know if it's the oil or not. I don't think it is, because I was breaking out before I started using the coconut oil. I was blaming it on a new SPF I was using, I wasn't using the oil at that time, but I stopped the SPF and am still breaking out. I don't know if it's just the weather or something I'm using. I am using a new AM cleanser too. I very rarely ever break out so I'm really bummed about this new development. Smiley Sad

I do have new bottles of jojoba oil and castor oil here too that I bought to try, maybe I'll try that tonight and see if I like it better than the coconut oil. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Honored Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated. 

Unfortunately, many of the suggestions are not cruelty free, like HappyDaze mentioned, and that's why I'm having such trouble finding a replacement for my Ponds. I will definitely check out a couple of the suggestions though, Pacifica, One love, Paula's choice are a couple of options for me. 

Has anyone tried Avalon organics cleansing oil? I saw that online and it looked nice. 

I've been using just plain coconut oil here the last week or so and it does a good job taking everything off. I've been breaking out lately though and I don't know if it's the oil or not. I don't think it is, because I was breaking out before I started using the coconut oil. I was blaming it on a new SPF I was using, I wasn't using the oil at that time, but I stopped the SPF and am still breaking out. I don't know if it's just the weather or something I'm using. I am using a new AM cleanser too. I very rarely ever break out so I'm really bummed about this new development. Smiley Sad

I do have new bottles of jojoba oil and castor oil here too that I bought to try, maybe I'll try that tonight and see if I like it better than the coconut oil. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I liked the oil cleansing method when I was using it -- it was like yoga for my face.  But I gave it up because it was time consuming.  Once I started massaging the oil into my face I didn't want to stop!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

37 Actives Cleansing Treatment. Gets everything off at once. If it wasn't so expensive I would use it all the time. Its the best cleanser besides Purity I have ever tried that gets off everything inculding eye makeup all at once.

Another choice just for cleanser is Camp Cosmetics Milk Cleanser. Its a gentle cleanser but I don't use it for makeup cleansing, you would have to use something else first.  If you follow on Instagram or Facebook. Michael has great deals on his  skincare and makeup line. I enjoy his skincare and makeup immensely.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Good Luck.

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Super Contributor

wet a washcloth and rub it on your face. that's the best, cheapest and most cruelty free way you will remove makeup

Super Contributor

I use Sebamed Face and Body Wash. I only use it on my face though and have been using it for years.

It's very gentle, never had a problem with it drying my face and it gets every trace of makeup off but not waterproof mascara.

They have since come out with an olive oil formula that I will try as soon as I finish my supply.

I get mine online at Costco for a much better deal offered elsewhere. They are sold as a 2- 32 oz pack so they last a long time. I keep one in the shower and one by the sink.

Costco has the best price by oz compared to other retailers.

As far as balm cleansers, I have Clinique's Take the day off and It Cosmetics's balm and I prefer IT's but they are both good IMO. I just wouldn't use them everyday.

I only wash my face at night, in the morning I splash cold water only. I like to splash it in my eyes too, it stings at first and eyes look red for a minute but it's so refreshing and after the sting is gone my eyes are clear and white, don't need eye drops.

Respected Contributor

@code99 wrote:

Signature Club A Vanilla Meltdown

@code99Me, too! Current favorite is Vanilla Orange.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Purity for awhile and really liked it. As a contact lens wearer, I really loved that I was able to even clease my eye makeup with my contacts in with that one without my contacts getting all goopy or foggy during the process. I think that's one of my biggest challenges with finding a good makeup remover - though beyond that I thought it had an odd smell so I just haven't went back to it. I've tried the Signature Club A meltdowns and I love the smell - and they do a good job at taking the makeup off but it's one of those that just doesn't work for me with contacts.

I'm currently using the Costco Kirkland brand makeup remover wipes as a first pass and then cleanse with my clarisonic and Serious Skincare C Clean. Seems to do the trick. I am always amazed at how much makeup comes off in that second cleansing step even when appeard that my skin was already clean from the Kirkland wipes. Then i wipe it all really good with a wet washcloth. 

I will probably try a new cleanser when I run out of the C Clean. Probably Paula's Choice since I plan on trying some of her other skincare.