Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Vitamin C Serum?

@Katcat1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch,   I just read that Mad Hippie and Drunk Elephant are 2 out of 4 the best Vitamin C serums.  I have been reading about Vitamin C serums for the last couple of  days and today I purchased the Mad Hippie from iherb.com for $27.19 and free shpg.  It was the best price that I had seen.  Your reply about Mad Hippie made me look into this.  I was also considering No. 7.  I first want to try this product and if I am pleased will purchase the cream or lotion.   HeartCat Happy

@Katcat1  I hope you like it.  You don't need a lot.  Some people will use a half dropper all the way up to a full dropper, just because they like how it feels going on.  IMO, that's way too much and can actually leave a sticky result, so be careful not to overdo it.  If I ever return to a specific "C" serum, I'll be heading right back to Mad Hippie.

Honored Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

Vitamin C is a very unstable antioxidant. It spoils soo easily, making it harmful to the skin. If it's beige or tan, it's already turned. I wouldn't get it in a serum. I've never seen a C serum that didn't start out beige, even in capsules.

Mixing the powder form with water each use is the best method-- if it is important to you to use the original type that has the most studies done on it.

I make my own C serum mainly because most of the stuff you buy at the counter is full of stuff that is there to either stabilize the C or to inhibit contamination. Mine has simple ingredients and lasts for about a month before I make new.  Been doing this for years.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Some food for thought: http://chemistscorner.com/cosmeticsciencetalk/discussion/comment/330/

It's a discussion among cosmetic chemists about their travails at stabilizing vitamin c in their serums. Made me a lot more interested in MAP.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

I second Timeless products!!
Honored Contributor

@StillRachB wrote:
I've recently simplified my skincare and makeup routine. Cerave foaming cleanser and Cerave PM moisturizer (I use it AM and PM.) I follow that with Tarte BB primer with spf 30 and a quick dusting of mineral powder and mascara. It's liberating!!! Nothing complicated. But I do feel I need a vitamin c serum. I have used Obagi 10% in the past but didn't love it. Please share your favorite and why you love it!

I've tried several, Obagi too, but keep coming back to Skinsceuticals Vit. C Fruelic. Expensive, but just use a few drops each day.