Super Contributor
I've recently simplified my skincare and makeup routine. Cerave foaming cleanser and Cerave PM moisturizer (I use it AM and PM.) I follow that with Tarte BB primer with spf 30 and a quick dusting of mineral powder and mascara. It's liberating!!! Nothing complicated. But I do feel I need a vitamin c serum. I have used Obagi 10% in the past but didn't love it. Please share your favorite and why you love it!
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite Vitamin C Serum?

[ Edited ]

@StillRachB wrote:
I've recently simplified my skincare and makeup routine. Cerave foaming cleanser and Cerave PM moisturizer (I use it AM and PM.) I follow that with Tarte BB primer with spf 30 and a quick dusting of mineral powder and mascara. It's liberating!!! Nothing complicated. But I do feel I need a vitamin c serum. I have used Obagi 10% in the past but didn't love it. Please share your favorite and why you love it!

Hi Rach @StillRachB - when I was using a specific Vitamin C serum, I was very happy with Mad Hippie's.  It has the SAP version of vitamin C.  When I decided to try Isomers Glutothiosome Plus, I read the ingredient list and saw it had MAP so I gave up the Mad Hippie since I felt my Vitamin C was "covered".  Since then, I became interested in a couple of Elysee serums.  One is the Pycnogenol serum which provides far more antioxidant protection than Vitamin C.  I still use the Glutathiosome Plus in the AM, but am not relying on it for the Vitamin C.  I use the Elysee Pycnogenol in the morning in conjunction with the Glutathiosome as a one, two punch.  Is it overkill to use both?  Maybe, but I like serums.

ETA - forgot to add that Pycnogenol helps with collagen production too.

Esteemed Contributor

Be prepared - you're going to get a zillion recommendations for Vitamin C.

The first and only Vit C serum I used was Avalon Organics Vitality Serum.  18% Vit C, rose hip oil, and soaked into my skin immediately.  I noticed a new brightness in my complexion within a couple weeks and continued to use it for almost 20 years.  Besides the fact that I liked how it helped my complexion, it was convenient because I bought it in the organics section of the supermarket for $18.

Last winter I decided I needed to bump it up a little so I now order from AmaraOrganics dot com.  20% Vit C and, supposedly, all natural ingredients.  (I also use their 2.5% Retinol and mud mask)

I don't know and really don't care much about ingredients (gasp!), I just know what  makes my complexion look and feel good.  I recommend both Avalon Organics and AmaraOrganics.

BTW, I also use CereVe foaming cleanser and CereVe PM Moisturizer both day and night.  Easy peezy.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I love the Avon Vitamin C serum.  I use it every day before I moisturize and it gives my face a slight glow.  I really like it.

Regular Contributor

StillRachB, I have been using Timeless Skin Care Vitamin C Serum with 20% vitamin C plus E Ferulic Acid for over a year now and really like it. I first learned about it from Angie on Hot and Flashy Youtube channel. The vitamin C is in the form of L-Ascorbic Acid which is said to be the most effective out of all the vitamin C formulations. It is cruelty free, made in the US, fragrance free and no color dye added. It's priced right at $24.95 for 1 ounce. Timeless runs sales just about every major holiday. Plus, they always have a special on their website - buy 2 products get 10%, buy 3 products get 20% off, buy 4+ products get 30% off. If you go to Angie's YT channel, she has a code for $5 off any purchase. Once I find a product that works for me, I very seldom will try another product of the same type. HTH.

Honored Contributor

I use Skinn's powder vit C and mix it into a cocktail of a few of his other serums at night. It dissolves well and kind feels like a light scrub. But I really think it brightens up my complexion. I LOVE his Secret elixer too, which is what I mix the C into. Just ordered some more C. You use just a sprinkling of it and can add it to most any of your skincare.

Respected Contributor

Drunk Elephant C Firma is my favorite. It is pricey at $80 but they recommend only using it every 3 days. Therefore, you do get mileage out of this product. My skin is dry and it does give some nice hydration.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch,   I just read that Mad Hippie and Drunk Elephant are 2 out of 4 the best Vitamin C serums.  I have been reading about Vitamin C serums for the last couple of  days and today I purchased the Mad Hippie from iherb.com for $27.19 and free shpg.  It was the best price that I had seen.  Your reply about Mad Hippie made me look into this.  I was also considering No. 7.  I first want to try this product and if I am pleased will purchase the cream or lotion.   HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@StillRachB make sure you are using a separate SPF.  The amount in tinted moisturizers or makeup isn't enough.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin C is a very unstable antioxidant. It spoils soo easily, making it harmful to the skin. If it's beige or tan, it's already turned. I wouldn't get it in a serum. I've never seen a C serum that didn't start out beige, even in capsules.

Mixing the powder form with water each use is the best method-- if it is important to you to use the original type that has the most studies done on it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr