Respected Contributor

Re: Fake Nail Question - Mary in the kitchen

I guess it's just me but I get a creepy feeling seeing long painted nails (how clean under them?) on a waitress or cook or anyone working in the kitchen. I see how dirty my plain ole short non polished nails get just daily after doing most anything and I can't hack a server with funky long nails handling my plate/glass. Hard to keep clean hands with dirty, long polished nails. Just me I guess but ick.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk I agree.

Frequent Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@fthunt Most times if the nails look "thick" it's because they are acrylic nails and yes they are glued on.  Gel nails are just a gel type polish that sets with a blue light.  Normally these are more natural and don't have that awful thick appearance.  I had gel manicures for years, they never chip so your nails always look pretty, just a job to remove though.

Since the pandemic I've really cut back on going to the salon and have learned to do my own.  Lots of the polishes are better now and seem to last longer.

@LindaSal A bit off topic, but have you found a favorite long-lasting polish you could recommend? I do a lot of computer work and my polish never seems to last very long.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, but what really grosses me out are the cooks who bite their nails....

Marc Charles does but Alex Guarnacelli bites them down to the quick.

Ewww, so unsanitary.

Honored Contributor

@PugdogMom The polish I use is Londontown Lakur.  It acts like a gel polsih but is just like regular polish.  I had bought a set at Christmas time that included several polishes and their base and top coats.  I have used it many times since then and I am very happy with it.   Hsn has this one currently:  item #729-929, and a few other products available if you put Londontown in the search bar.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Not exactly appetizing on a kitchen/cooking show.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you @LindaSal! I’ve never heard of that brand, but will give it a shot.

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61   Leah's nails always look good, she also shows lovely colors too.