Esteemed Contributor
On 7/6/2014 happy housewife said:
On 7/6/2014 betteb said:
On 7/6/2014 happy housewife said:

I think in the OP's case I would seek the advice of a dermatologist.

I'm sure being a survivor, she has had plenty of input from doctors.

She asked what we used.

Maybe if she took the advice of her doctors over the posters on a beauty board she would not have a recurring problem!

HH - you really should think through some of your comments before hitting the SUBMIT button. This was a hurtful remark about the OP.....uncalled for and really a low blow.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor
On 7/6/2014 luvmygumbo said:

Hi F1Wild,

Congratulations on being a melanoma survivor! I have a sibling who has stage 4 melanoma so I know that I have to be diligent with using sunscreen.

I just got back from a beach vacation in FL and used various Elta MD sunscreens. For extended outdoor activities, I like the Elta MD Sport spf 50. It worked great and no sign of a burn at all. It has a high percentage of zinc oxide, but it spreads very nicely. For my daily facial sunscreen, I have been using the tinted spf 41. I put that on and then some BB pot rouge and I am presentable for running errands, etc.

I have purchased my Elta products through Skinmedix.com. I see that they even have sample packs that you can purchase to try before committing to the full sizes.

HTH!

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, how is your sibling doing? Under treatment? This time I did immunotherapy with Yervoy IV and thank goodness I have great insurance as each individual drip bag (nothing else, just the bag) costs $70K. Yes! 70 grand each and I had 4 treatments.

I've been a long-time user of Elta MD products. Great brand, super quality.

Super Contributor

Just a tid bit - according to my main dermatologist and oncologist, if you have the genetic predisposition, all it takes is one tiny part of one cell to be "activated", by UV or many other ways, just enough to alter the DNA (or part of the DNA), and you could get a form of melanoma. It can be dormant then reactivated in some way (I have theories regarding my own) or remain dormant your whole life. Plus, there are also melanomas without a known ideology.

Remember, one American dies every hour from melanoma. Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the COMBINED incidence of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancer.

Contributor
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:

Hi F1Wild,

Congratulations on being a melanoma survivor! I have a sibling who has stage 4 melanoma so I know that I have to be diligent with using sunscreen.

I just got back from a beach vacation in FL and used various Elta MD sunscreens. For extended outdoor activities, I like the Elta MD Sport spf 50. It worked great and no sign of a burn at all. It has a high percentage of zinc oxide, but it spreads very nicely. For my daily facial sunscreen, I have been using the tinted spf 41. I put that on and then some BB pot rouge and I am presentable for running errands, etc.

I have purchased my Elta products through Skinmedix.com. I see that they even have sample packs that you can purchase to try before committing to the full sizes.

HTH!

Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, how is your sibling doing? Under treatment? This time I did immunotherapy with Yervoy IV and thank goodness I have great insurance as each individual drip bag (nothing else, just the bag) costs $70K. Yes! 70 grand each and I had 4 treatments.

F1, my brother is still receiving treatment in a clinical trial. He just had a recent scan and the cancer has not spread further; however, he will still continue with the treatments. He is experiencing fewer side effects with this treatment.

Super Contributor
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:

Hi F1Wild,

HTH!

F1, my brother is still receiving treatment in a clinical trial. He just had a recent scan and the cancer has not spread further; however, he will still continue with the treatments. He is experiencing fewer side effects with this treatment.

Please send him my strength, healthy, peaceful wishes. I know there are several clinical trials going on. My oncologist is heading up a few at Mayo. He said there are new treatments that are derivatives of Yervoy with fewer side effects (they are worse than the treatment!). I know 2 that are funded by Stand Up To Cancer.

Trusted Contributor
On 7/6/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 7/6/2014 Dosey said:
On 7/6/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 7/6/2014 Dosey said:
On 7/6/2014 gazelle77 said:

I am so glad you are a survivor and and being proactive!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}~ I am a big advocate of sun protection. When I walk outside, besides my sunscreen, I use UV protected hat with a back flap for my neck, arm uv protective sleeves and hand uv protective gloves. I usually use a variety of sunscreens, I like Neutrogena brand 100 spf.

I am 59 and as a child used no sunscreen ever.... got brown as a berry in the summer and had many sunburns sadly{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.sad} No one was proactive back in the 60'a and 70's.... Sun screen was not discussed. I only hope my last 20 years of being very careful can make up for some of the bad stuff I did as a child and young adult. Thankfully THIS GENERATION has the information to do the right thing... if they choose to listen. It is hard when you are 20 something to not do what you want to do because at 20 something you are not thinking about your demise... and that is normal. I just think it can not be stressed enough about using your noggin and using sun protection. Tanning beds are so TOXIC!!!!!

My excessive burning and tanning occurred in my teens only. I have been wearing sunscreen for years. (I am almost 52 yo.) Unfortunately, these bad burns can change our DNA and be passed on to our kids. My son has already had two precancerous moles removed. One at 15, and one at 16. He has never tanned or had a sunburn. I regret every moment of unprotected sun exposure. My son does not deserve this.

Whaaaat? Is this true? I've never heard about this. Oh jeez, would my kids be in trouble!

Yes, it is true. I saw a PBS program on skin cancer that stated this, and my derm confirmed it. She sees my kids regularly, now. It is because of the last two annual checkups that she found the precancerous moles (confirmed through biopsies) on my son. She wants to (and is going to) see my son every six months because he has started developing more moles, and she does not want to wait annually to check his skin. We might go back to annual visits if his skin settles down and stops developing moles. The kids' pediatrician said that teens sometimes develop moles during this time of their lives, so there is a chance we could go back to annual visits. I also check my kids' skin monthly. Yes, skin cancer is also genetic.

Oh, Dosey, of course I wasn't questioning whether skin cancer is genetic. I'm sorry you're going through this all over again with your kids.

I was specifically referencing the portion of your post that I bolded - the part about how bad burns can change your DNA and be passed on to your kids. I had just never heard this before.

Sorry! My mistake. I scanned over the bolded portion of my post too quickly.

Isn't it amazing what UV rays can do? I say amazing because now that we know this perhaps research is taking place to find something that can also change our DNA in a positive way. Something that will turn off a cancer gene or any other gene that causes a life changing abnormality. Wouldn't that be incredible?

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:

Hi F1Wild,

HTH!

Please send him my strength, healthy, peaceful wishes. I know there are several clinical trials going on. My oncologist is heading up a few at Mayo. He said there are new treatments that are derivatives of Yervoy with fewer side effects (they are worse than the treatment!). I know 2 that are funded by Stand Up To Cancer.

luvmygumbo: so wonderful to hear of your brother's recent scans. our pastor's son has melanoma for the 2nd time., this time presenting with tumors in his chest. he is in a clinical trial at Moffett in Tampa. his scans are showing shrinking of his tumors, however, the side effects are horrific. he is trying so hard to keep up his normal life ie family, job, etc. this is also effecting his eyesight. we pray for him everyday. it is gratifying to hear success stories and that great strides are being made with this disease.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:
On 7/6/2014 F1wild said:

Hi F1Wild,

HTH!

Thank you and best wishes for you too.

Trusted Contributor

My favorite which I've used the past 2 years or so is by Skinmedica. It's called Environmental Defense Sunscreen SPF50. It's expensive but so weightless and fabulous that I don't have to buy any other facial moisturizer lotion. It's perfect under my mineral foundation and of course works with the liquid I sometimes use too.

I'm 64 w/normal balanced skin that used to be oily.

http://www.skinmedica.com/skin-care-products/environmental-defense-sunscreen-spf-50

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Super Contributor

tends2dogs: My strongest healing thoughts to your pastor's son. The side effects of these immunotherapy drugs are beyond horrible, but so worth the longer life. Above all, peace!

MrsSweetieBear: I think I might give it a go. Cheers!