Super Contributor

I tried to find a thread dedicated to just facial sunscreen, but didn't see one. I apologize if one is there.

I just recently became a Melanoma survivor for the second time (Stage 3 in '98, Stage 4 in lung & brain in '13) and live in the ever sunny Metro Phoenix area SO really effective sunscreen is a must! I seem to try a new one every month searching for the perfect product. So, I'm interested in what you use, high-end, drug store and everything in between. Let me know your age group, skin category and any other information.

Honored Contributor

I think in the OP's case I would seek the advice of a dermatologist.

Valued Contributor

F1wild, first and foremost ... congratulations on being such an amazing survivor! Truly wonderful! Second .. I'm a little surprised your physicians haven't recommended very specific types and brands of sunscreen. Have you asked them?

My skin tends to react poorly to any chemical sunscreens, so zinc and titanium dioxide is the best/most protective choice for me. I use EltaMD41, highly recommended by my dermatologist, who told me she uses it herself. I've never once gotten a tan or burn or anything close since using it. I use it daily, 365 days a year. But you may need a higher SPF, so your doctor is the one to advise you on that. (EltaMD has other, higher SPF products also.) The other thing I've learned from my derm is to avoid lesser known brands that claim "natural/organic" because they are often not standardized. (I learned this the hard way, after getting a sunburn on my nose after using a Devita "all natural" sunscreen. Not fun.)

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/6/2014 happy housewife said:

I'm sure being a survivor, she has had plenty of input from doctors.

She asked what we used.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor
On 7/6/2014 betteb said:

She asked what we used.

Maybe if she took the advice of her doctors over the posters on a beauty board she would not have a recurring problem!

Honored Contributor
I'm using JM Argan moisturizer with SPF and Clarins that I received in the Sephora sun safety kit. Both are physical sun screens. I don't know how much protection I get since I sweat easily. It may just slide off my face or wiped off. I'm not talking about hrs in the sun either. This is walking doing errands. If I know I was going to be in the sun for long periods of time - sweat proof SPF would be going on. I tan easily no pink or red after out in the sun - I rarely just go sunning. Good luck in your search.
Super Contributor

I like EltaMD SPF 41 for the face with titanium dioxide and zine oxide - no chemical sunscreens. I have searched high and low to find a sunscreen that doesn't look so metallic, and this product is the best I could find.

I am 46, and I live in Florida. I have mostly normal skin with a tendency to break out when I use products with oil or heavy silicones.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/6/2014 betteb said:

She asked what we used.

Maybe if she took the advice of her doctors over the posters on a beauty board she would not have a recurring problem!

That has to be the stupidest thing I have seen you post to date{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

F1wild- Please ignore HH, she has a problem. SMH

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor
On 7/6/2014 betteb said:

She asked what we used.

You are assuming she doesn't and you know what they say when you assume. 'Nuff said.
Super Contributor

Happy Housewife, why would you post what you did?? Please become just a wee bit educated as your ignorance in this matter is offensive. Cancer rediagnosis is not due to following your doctor's suggestions.

I'm hoping if someone who would like sunscreen info, they can get a recommendation that might work for them. What might work for some who is 25 with oily skin might be different than what would be appropriate for a dry 60yo.