Super Contributor

I have combo skin but definatley getting drier the older I get. Still have some issues with acne if I use a wrong foundation or primer( silicones). I have started to have some mild flakey peeling skin, noticed in my 10x magnification mirror. Which  product would be a likely culprit, a stronger cleanser, 2% BHA, or BM 50 SPF physical mineral sunscreen. Any thoughts?  By the way, not using any retinol products. 

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

I have combo skin but definatley getting drier the older I get. Still have some issues with acne if I use a wrong foundation or primer( silicones). I have started to have some mild flakey peeling skin, noticed in my 10x magnification mirror. Which  product would be a likely culprit, a stronger cleanser, 2% BHA, or BM 50 SPF physical mineral sunscreen. Any thoughts?  By the way, not using any retinol products. 

All three of those products can cause your skin to get dry, especially the cleanser. I would ditch the strong cleanser and use a mild one. Use the BHA less frequently.

Honored Contributor

Are  you exfoliating?  A mild exfoliation may take care of that.  I have dry skin and live in a dry climate and have some small peeling issues and use St. Ives Apricot Scrub once or twice a week and it helps me get rid of the flakes and hydrates my skin as well.   Then I do my regular routine.   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Bet it's the strong cleanser at fault. You may need to add a light moisturizer too. Over time the skin's needs change and most of us, even combo people, have to switch to a gentler cleanser and at least a light moisturizer. It is a challenge to find a good light weight moisturizer without silicones in it though! 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Have you ever used Isomers products? Isomers is a Canadian company owned and run by 2 chemists who make all the product. I use their serums and have had good results, my skin looks clear, smooth and firm for 66 years old. Evine sells Isomers and you can even call the company and ask them what would benefit your skin type before you invest in the product. If you buy from Evine you have the usual 30 day money back guarantee.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

I would discontinue all products for at least 3 wks. Use Cetaphil cleanser & Cetaphil lotion instead. Let your skin rest & repair. Then add back 1 product at a time for at least 2 wks. before beginning another. The bad guy will show up.

Honored Contributor

@porcelain wrote:

Bet it's the strong cleanser at fault. You may need to add a light moisturizer too. Over time the skin's needs change and most of us, even combo people, have to switch to a gentler cleanser and at least a light moisturizer. It is a challenge to find a good light weight moisturizer without silicones in it though! 

I usually have 2 cleansers & 2 moisturizers on hand. Skin's never the same week to week or season to season. I also use one cleanser (an oil one) at nite to remove makeup, but only need a mild one in the morning....no makeup to remove. 

Super Contributor

I am thinking it's the Shiseido Deep Foam Cleanser. I had been using it once a week to help prevent breakouts but as I ran out of my other cleanser (First Aid Cleanser) switched to twice a day. None of the things I mentioned are new additions. I do use moisturizer am and pm with a couple of drops of argon oil at pm. I use Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel moisturizer. Lots of moisturizers break me out, I guess because of silicons. I use the 2%BHA  liquid every pm for chemical exfoliation but haven't used a physical exfoliation in a while so I will try that after I let my skin settle down a few days off the Shiseido cleanser. I may need a bit richer moisturizer now too but with my history of bad reactions, breakouts, clogged pores,  I'm hesitant to try a new one. Would love to find one that my skin could tolerate that had some anti aging actives in it other than just moisturizing. Thanks so much for all the help.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

I tend to think it's likely the cleanser too, but also I agree with the poster who suggested doing some physical exfoliation.  However, please avoid the apricot scrub.  The chunks of apricot pits have sharp edges and can end up causing microtears in your skin.  I'd recommend an enzymatic AM cleanser for that and maybe something a little stronger once a week or so.