Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity  My understanding is moisturizer will not absorb over oil thus use moisturizer first then oil.  Take a drop of oil and place in hand and rub hands together and pat on your face.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I watched Tatcha presentation this morning and the vendor suggested putting it on after your moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't think it matters either. Sometimes I even mix a little oil in with my moisturizer and apply it that way.

@SilleeMee  ITA with your technique. I do anything that saves a step. I mix a drop of argan or marula (my latest favorite...shown to have more antioxidant properties, etc. than argan) w/ my moisturizer. After thoroughly blending in the palm of hands, I pat in on my face until absorbed....no rubbing or swiping. Somehow the patting/pressing motion allows the moisturizer to sink in to the skin and plump up fine lines and wrinkles. If face/neck still looks a little dry, you can always add more. Hydration is the biggest step for foundation to look its best.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don’t think there is a “wrong” way to use oils, either.  But most vendors say to use the oil after the moisturizer if you use one.  The idea is that the oil locks in the moisturizer.

@geezerette  I think that depends on the moisturizer. Some heavier moisturizers sit on the skin surface, especially if skin has not been sufficiently exfoliated. The oil just sits on top of that and causing too much slip of foundation step. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I tried oils both ways - before and after moisturizer - and after works better for me.

I moisturize with a medicated cream, and feel it penetrates serums but not oils. So oils are last for me.

Edited: Meant oils after moisturizer - the last step.

@ Montana  When using an oil during the day, when my skin has foundation, been set w/ finely milled setting powder, I rub tiny 1/2 drop of oil between my hands and pat lightly on my cheek area as a last step (after blush, bronzer, etc.). It gives a subtle glow w/o an obvious highlighting product.

Respected Contributor

As the others have mentioned there really isn't a right or wrong way. I usually put mine on after my other serums before my moisturizer. However, I also just mix it with my moisturizer if I am in a hurry and don't want to do separate steps.