Valued Contributor

Re: Face sunscreen that does not clog pores?

@chiclet 

Morning ! I still have acne prone sensitive skin at soon to be 58 . For me hands down it is ColorScience total protection spf 50 .It has a slight tint to it . They recently came out with one called Flex which comes in 4 shades .I have not tried it yet .  I use it in place of foundation and its great .  I have also tried Paulas Choice Super light daily wrinkle defense spf 30 . Its light and nice too , but she she was just purchased by UNILEVER , I would not be repurchasing.  Both of these are 100 percent mineral .I find chemical irritates my skn . Colorscience is a bit pricey , but for someone who has acne prone skin that clogs and breaks out very easily . It is worth every penny , plus when i use it no need for foundation. Good luck 

Honored Contributor

I use Cerave moisturizing sunscreen with SPF 30.  This is a mineral sunscreen with a slight tint to it.  if I am going to be out in the sun, this has enough to give me a tiny bit of coverage without putting any kind of tinted moisturizer or foundation on.  Sometimes I will put a tinted moisturizer over the top.

I will say this did feel a little heavy the first time I used it and I thought I wouldn't like it.  But I really do.  However, I do use a cleansing balm followed by a foaming cleanser to remove it.  With just a regular cleanser my skin still feels like it has a film on it. 

Respected Contributor

I've been wanting a new sunscreen so I've been reading up about them.  Chemical sunscreens, mineral sunscreens.  Sunscreen for acne, clogged pores, sensitive skin.....the list goes on and on.  But Elta MD keeps popping up time and time again.  I'm going to try it.

Super Contributor

@ScrapHappy I was just going to come on and recommend Elta MD. It is one of the many products i use that i repurchase time and time again. It is a physical sunscreen so slight whitish cast when applied but easily rubbed in to disappear.  I use the UV Clear Broad Spectrum 46. It goes well under makeup and doesn't pill.

I recently purchased the Colorescience Sunforgettable Total Protection Face Sheild 50 SPF (original formula) for days I want protection with no makeup. It works very well under makeup on my very fair not so perfect 58 year old skin.

Honored Contributor

What about a mineral sunscreen powder?  Check out Brush On Block and Derma-E.  I recently was able to get a BOB duo from Costco online for $20 on sale, though I believe it's currently out of stock.  I also have the Derma-E on an Amazon subscription for $20.  I don't wear sunscreen every day as I personally believe it's good to get a little sun.  However, I will use it if im going to be exposed for an extended time.  I also doubt that daily users are applying correctly anyway, either not enough or not repeating throughout the day as directed.  The tube of mineral powder is easy to carry and reapply as needed.  

Honored Contributor

My derm and I are not fans of mineral sunscreens and here's why...mineral sunscreens act like umbrellas over the skin providing protection from the sun's rays. The concept is pretty simple but very vulnerable to failure when there's something which causes the mineral sunscreen to come off and then you're left unprotected. I have been badly burned while wearing a mineral sunscreen. OTOH with a chemical sunscreen that is not an issue b/c chemical sunscreens work by absorbing into the skin where it's not easily washed or worn away. Living at high altitude I cannot afford to lose sun protection by simply rubbing it off. No to mineral sunscreens for me.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@newjerseygirl wrote:

@chiclet 

@newjerseygirl 

Does that sunscreen give you a white cast?

@SilleeMee  No

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My derm and I are not fans of mineral sunscreens and here's why...mineral sunscreens act like umbrellas over the skin providing protection from the sun's rays. The concept is pretty simple but very vulnerable to failure when there's something which causes the mineral sunscreen to come off and then you're left unprotected. I have been badly burned while wearing a mineral sunscreen. OTOH with a chemical sunscreen that is not an issue b/c chemical sunscreens work by absorbing into the skin where it's not easily washed or worn away. Living at high altitude I cannot afford to lose sun protection by simply rubbing it off. No to mineral sunscreens for me.

@SilleeMee  that's interesting.  I am out on a boat, jet ski or pool many weekend days, all day long, through the hottest part of the day.  Obviously I am sweating and my face does get wet on the jet ski.

I have used the Cerave only on my face, nothing else over it, and I haven't gotten so much as a little color to my face. 

I gave up chemical sunscreens because I don't want the chemicals actually sinking into my skin.  

Respected Contributor

@lkat wrote:

My skin is is very breakout prone and this one is my favorite.  Right now Ulta is having a buy one get one 50% off sale.

The MyChelle Tinted Sun Shield Liquid SPF 50 is an oil-free formula with 100% mineral broad-spectrum protection. Blends weightlessly and seamlessly giving skin a fresh, healthy glow with a smooth, matte finish.

Formulated Without:

• Parabens
  • Petroleum
  • Phthalates
  • Silicones
  • Ureas
  • Artificial Fragrances
  • Artificial Colors

I went to Ulta this morning and bought two bottles with the second one 50% off and a 3.50 coupon.  I hope I like it.  Will try it tomorrow.  I was going through my stash of samples and found Josie Maran spf 47 lotion and it was like smearing vegetable oil on my face.   

Honored Contributor

I understand. @Lipstickdiva .