Contributor

Re: FIRST MAKEUP CLIENT TODAY!!! 😳

@Shanus wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Shanus      I have a couple of questions..

NARS "O" Multiples (cream blush) ...is the word MULTIPLES part of the name of the color of blush you used?  I did try looking up the Nars "O"...and multples was not a part of the name..also in the description it made me think the color is a bit sparkly....or did I misunderstand?  I am 65 and do not need sparkle on my face.

The eyeliner...top waterline....this may be a silly question but does top mean top of my eye lid or the top of the INSIDE of my eyelid?  I really need to bump up the look to my eyes...while I am very healthy my eyes generally seem to look tired, which I am not...the waterline technique sounds interesting to me.

I live in a rural area and the malls near me carry the traditional make up brands...Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder, etc.  I have never found the make up associates to be very helpful....

thank you!

@Mom2Dogs   The NARS stick blushes were called "multiples" because some colors can be used on cheeks, eyes and lips. They may have dropped "multiples", but I use it to differentiate it from the NARS "O" powder blush. The color is a peachy pink and flattering on most skin tones. It's a cream blush (not a very greasy texture) & has a slight sheen, no sparkle that's too much for your age. I'm 72 and wear it and have used it on even older women. It gives the cheeks a lift without using a highlighter, which can be aging. 

Eyes: no questions are silly. Everyone wants to learn something, right? The waterline is the fleshy area under the upper eyelid under your lashes. If it tickles when you first practice begin applying it, you're in the right spot. 😜 Most importantly, it definitely requires a waterproof, not water resistant pencil. I prefer navy instead of black because it's more natural looking and makes the whites of eyes appear whiter. Did you know the white area sometimes yellow with age?

I would also try to eliminate the reddish look of a tired eye w/ eye drops before beginning your makeup and using a flesh colored pencil. I use one by Tarte called "Fake Awake" inside the bottom waterline...it takes away that pink/red line and neutralizes it. Curl your lashes before mascara to give your eyes a lift.

Check your concealer shade and if it's not covering darkness, you may want to first try a corrector under it. Don't double up on concealer which can crease. Corrector (the ones that are a peach shade not the green) is made to neutralize the darkness so a minimum amount of concealer is needed. 

The lines that are carried in your mall should have most of the products above. You may have to order the NARS and Tarte beige liner from Sephora or Nordstrom or Macy's. 

Please let me know if yo/u have any other questions. 

Could you please tell me the name of the color/brand of navy pencil that you use for the tightlining? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

thank you for the detailed reply...now I under stand the...

@Shanus   thank you for the detailed reply...now I under stand the 'multiples' word.  

I was thinking about a highligher, but was always afraid of it...I don't tend to be heavy handed but highlighter scared me (IT cosmetics had an on air presentation with a lipstick in the duo). I was tempted to buy it, it had great reviews.  Currently I use MAC blush...pinch me.  I like it but have to be careful that I don't over do it, so maybe the NARS blush would be a better choice.

I'll have to purchase a new eyeliner, I have green eyes and am currently using a blue pencil liner, (top of eye at the lash line)  it's not waterproof.

My eyes tend to be red, ugh....I do use a drop that helps to whiten my eyes (only when they are really bad or have a special occasion, I don't want to over do it) and I have a nude color pencil for the bottom lash line.  

I think I have my grandma's eyes....red a lot of the time....I do have a product that was suggested by my eye doctor that keeps the lower lash line clean...he said my eyes get a build up and it irritates the eye...the irritation makes them red... and the product keeps that area clean.

Sounds like you and your client had a great day!!  A little bit of normal, can't hurt.

again, thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: thank you for the detailed reply...now I under stand the...

@Mom2Dogs   You're very welcome. Happy to help.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Yes, trying to be realistic without being hurtful would be difficult at times.  When we admire someone or their looks, we think if we get similar makeup, we can look just the same as them.  However, we each have our own individual features that are different and unique and these things need to be played up in their own special way.  I used to have a problem when I would go to get a new hairdo.  I would bring a magazine picture and say --- I want this!  The stylists never said --- we can't do that because your hair is of a different texture and it won't work - or -- it won't look good because of the shape of your face!  I wish they would have just been honest and said so because I ended up with a lot of bad haircuts and dos --- which ended up being don'ts!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus 

Yes, trying to be realistic without being hurtful would be difficult at times.  When we admire someone or their looks, we think if we get similar makeup, we can look just the same as them.  However, we each have our own individual features that are different and unique and these things need to be played up in their own special way.  I used to have a problem when I would go to get a new hairdo.  I would bring a magazine picture and say --- I want this!  The stylists never said --- we can't do that because your hair is of a different texture and it won't work - or -- it won't look good because of the shape of your face!  I wish they would have just been honest and said so because I ended up with a lot of bad haircuts and dos --- which ended up being don'ts!!!  

@AngelPuppy1   That's the same issue....hair styles and makeup. 

Honored Contributor

@Clearsunshine   The navy liner pencil is waterproof. It's Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil. The color is called Sabbath, a deep matte navy. 

Trusted Contributor

@Re: thank you for the detailed reply...now I under stand the...

@Mom2Dogs   what product do you use to cleanse your lids?  My doc recommended OTC lid wipes.  I have never looked for anything else.

Honored Contributor

Re: @Re: thank you for the detailed reply...now I under stand the...

@MrsCat21   The proudct is AVENOVA.  I use it on my lower lash line.  I don't know the exact name of the issue I have but that lash line becomes clogged and causes irritation...then causes my nose to run and eyes get very red.  It took forever  to get  a diagnosis.   I suffered quite a while with the symptoms.

I don't use the product daily just when I can tell the lash line is clogged.

I purchase the bottle thru my eye doctor's office.