Respected Contributor

Watching Sheila put on It Cosmetics eyeliner and she does such a fantastic job !  I"m not so good at  putting it on my top or lower lid. It cosmetics liner looks easy but does anyone have a very easy liner that you prefer and can recommend ?

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

@Shanus is an authority on makeup.  I would ask her.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes   I try to not use liner on the top or bottom. I use a pencil to go from above down into the lashes to define the eye and make the lashes look thicker. On the bottom, I swipe a bit of shadow in the shade I used for the crease...usually a light taupe. A darker line under the eyes brings the look down and at any age, we want to look lifted.

It is true that liner looks easy on the models, but keep in mind they've been applying it daily or many more times daily for many years and may also still have taught lids. Any creasing on the lids can cause liner to drag and then you'd need to keep going back over it until your line ends up too thick and obvious. That's why I prefer tightlining and/or lining between the lashes. It also leaves more lid space for shadow. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

I try to not use liner on the top or bottom. I use a pencil to go from above down into the lashes to define the eye and make the lashes look thicker. On the bottom, I swipe a bit of shadow in the shade I used for the crease...usually a light taupe. A darker line under the eyes brings the look down and at any age, we want to look lifted.

It is true that liner looks easy on the models, but keep in mind they've been applying it daily or many more times daily for many years and may also still have taught lids. Any creasing on the lids can cause liner to drag and then you'd need to keep going back over it until your line ends up too thick and obvious. That's why I prefer tightlining and/or lining between the lashes. It also leaves more lid space for shadow. 

Thank you so much !  yes the models are experts at putting on eyeliner !  I;m going to try your method, wish me luck ! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I take black eyeshadow, swipe a slightly damp flat-liner brush across the powder and then press, press, press it into the lash line. That gives the illusion of having more lashes w/o a hard line. I leave my bottom lashes alone.

Look up this video to see how that's done:

Flat Eye Liner Brush by Laura Mercier

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Mostly it is just a bit of practice & confidence in yourself. There are tons of videos on youtube to help you find what works best for you. 

Don't take any of it as the right way. Just suggestions for you to try until you find the right way for you.

I love Dominque Sachse, Ali Andreea & Wayne Goss, but there are so many to look at. And, what works for me one day, I have to adjust the next day because it doesn't look quite right.

I have all type of pencils, shadows & liquid eyeliners. I use any 1 or combination depending on the day. Don't be afraid of liquid liner, either.

A461793-Belle Beauty are nice liners & this set has 2 colors of pencil & a liquid.

Respected Contributor
I use the Ulta brand automatic eyeliner in brown or gray. I use a light hand and short strokes. Lining my eyes with shadow is just too fussy for me.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take black eyeshadow, swipe a slightly damp flat-liner brush across the powder and then press, press, press it into the lash line. That gives the illusion of having more lashes w/o a hard line. I leave my bottom lashes alone.

Look up this video to see how that's done:

Flat Eye Liner Brush by Laura Mercier

@SilleeMee 

Fabulous idea!  I'm going to try that tomorrow!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

I usually take a pencil liner and only tight-line across my upper lid and only about 1/3 of the way on my bottom lid.  Tight-lining the upper lid makes you look like your lash line is fuller.  I usually take my crease shadow color and put that underneath my lower lashes.  Occasionally I'll line my upper lid on top of my lashes.  I always use a pencil and then smudge it out with a brush.  

One of my coworkers the other day had her eyes lined with black, but the top line didn't touch her lash line.  It looks so bad.  *cringe*

Respected Contributor

I have worn eyeliner all of my adult life.  I use several brands but probably love the Chanel liners the most.  I am so out of practice in applying eyeliner now.  It takes me a lot longer to apply liner and I have to  take my time.  I also tight line at times if I don't want to deal with working on my regular liner.  I just checked out the Kylie liners at Ulta this week and am considering trying these.  Looked very creamy and were hard to wash off my hand.  I use shadow just under my lower lashes instead of liner most of the time.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.