Regular Contributor

I have never used one, can anyone recommend a good one?

Trusted Contributor

From the drugstore: Hard Candy Eye Shadow Primer (comes in a tube).

From QVC: Laura Geller Spackle Eye Shadow Primer (Mine came as part of a set but I think you can buy it separately).

Both keep my shadows on my lids for at least 9 hours, if not more.

Honored Contributor

Urban Decay Original eyeshadow primer is great. A little goes a long way. Apply it thinly on lids and below brow area. You do not need to 'see it'. My tube lasted over 4 months! Towards the end of the tube I cut the doe foot applicator off and just squeezed out what I needed on my finger.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I've tried high-end to drugstore and my 2 favorites come from the drugstore!

Milani or Wet n'Wild are the two I always go back to.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I use ELF eyelid primer and it keeps my eyeshadow on all day - also covers darkness - only $2 at Target. 

Valued Contributor

Clinique Touch Base is WONDERFUL; can find at all major department stores at a relatively reasonable price, as well as on-line.  However, for some reason Clinique discontinued the shade I used for years, as did many others because it often was out of stock, so cannot recommend a shade, but I can definitely recomment this as a eye shadow base!!!!

Honored Contributor

@jjb wrote:

Here's the skinny on eyelid primers. Yes they do keep your shadow on longer, but some really dry out your eyelids in the process. The more expensive ones are guilty, too. 

My favorite one so far is Laura Mercier because it also lightens the color of my lids & there are many days that I just tightline between lashes w/ black pencil, use mascara and no eyeshadow. It is also somewhat still drying.

Unless you knew you'd need shadow to stay put for 12 hours, I'd skip it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I use ELF eyelid primer and it keeps my eyeshadow on all day - also covers darkness - only $2 at Target. 

I use the same one @hoosieroriginal. I used to use Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance but I tried the ELF one just to check it out. I wore ELF on one side and UDPP on the other and at the end of the day the ELF lid actually looked better with more shadow still on it and not one crease. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jjb wrote:

Here's the skinny on eyelid primers. Yes they do keep your shadow on longer, but some really dry out your eyelids in the process. The more expensive ones are guilty, too. 

My favorite one so far is Laura Mercier because it also lightens the color of my lids & there are many days that I just tightline between lashes w/ black pencil, use mascara and no eyeshadow. It is also somewhat still drying.

Unless you knew you'd need shadow to stay put for 12 hours, I'd skip it. 

Loving using the colored print I just learned on another thread!!! Will try to reserve it for special occasions as some find it annoying. For an artist, it's like opening a new gigantic box of crayons!!!

🤗

Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I use the same one @hoosieroriginal. I used to use Urban Decay Primer Potion and Too Faced Shadow Insurance but I tried the ELF one just to check it out. I wore ELF on one side and UDPP on the other and at the end of the day the ELF lid actually looked better with more shadow still on it and not one crease. 

@Irshgrl31201- plus for $2 you can't beat the price!  If you go on the ELF website - their products get very high reviews.  I might try one of their foundations soon - if I don't like it - I'm out maybe $8-10!