Frequent Contributor

Explain please -- clumpy mascara trend

Some things make my brain hurt. Am I the only one who doesn't understand the clumpy, globby mascara application that seems to be in style now? I don't mind if some people like it; I just truly don't understand why. Was it started by mascara makers who want you to use it up faster? Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Explain please -- clumpy mascara trend

I think it's the trend of exaggeration...you can see it with brows, heavy eyeliners and overly done contour, too, these days. It's definitely not suppose to look natural. Good for younger women and their selfies...the 'Instagram look'.

Frequent Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think it's the trend of exaggeration...you can see it with brows, heavy eyeliners and overly done contour, too, these days. It's definitely not suppose to look natural. Good for younger women and their selfies...the 'Instagram look'.

That makes sense, thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

The tarantula eye look is not as good look. 

Respected Contributor

Just looking at the models makes my eyes burn!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

ikwym! i happened to catch a glimpse of mally putting 'mascara' on a model this morning and i had to look away !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Like Superhero?  I'm still frustrated with that one.  The samples were great, the full sizes are a downright mess. 

Honored Contributor

Clumpy mascara is last on my list of things to upset me. Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Don't you think the clumpy look is only to show how the mascara can add length and fullness? I can't say if I have ever seen that much mascara on someone in public---- maybe with added false lashes but I don't notice that anymore--no matter what hype and claims of long, lush, full lashes the brands tout--nothing works on my skimpy, sparse lashes so I don't bother, but do think this exaggeration is all for show.

Frequent Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Don't you think the clumpy look is only to show how the mascara can add length and fullness? I can't say if I have ever seen that much mascara on someone in public---- maybe with added false lashes but I don't notice that anymore--no matter what hype and claims of long, lush, full lashes the brands tout--nothing works on my skimpy, sparse lashes so I don't bother, but do think this exaggeration is all for show.

That could be -- making a product look bad doesn't sell me on it, but she did get rich selling these things so must know what she's doing.