Super Contributor

I'm currently watching the set of 2 epilating tools on air now and it's going around in my mind where they keep saying that the hairs stay away for about 4 weeks, but you'd have to be taking this out and using it everyday? Also, that the hairs would be coming in finer and finer and would completely stay away eventually.if that's the case, why would someone keep epilating after years of doing it?  I understand that hairs grow in different stages, but why would you be taking it out everyday then or keeping it in your purse, or wouldn't the hair eventually stop growing altogether? It doesn't make any sense to me.TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Epilating question please

Do they also mention how much it hurts?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I don’t have the ones you saw on air, but I do have a similar one from years ago.  I hate shaving my legs.  I’ve been using the epilator for years.  Hairs do not grow back slower or finer, at least not for me.  Yes, it hurts, but I am used to that.  I use it, then a few days later the more hidden hairs need it.  But, it lasts, overall, much longer than shaving.  It lasts about two weeks on my legs.

I used it on face for a while, but now I use something else on my face.  

Honored Contributor

Hair grows back at different speeds. Repeated epilation may cause some follicles to stop producing hair altogether. All of this may depend on your genetics as well. So when you do your first epilation, the hairs removed are in different growth stages and will regrow when their next grow cycle starts. That's why some hairs will re-appear the next day, or several days or weeks later.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been using an epilator since the 90s and I wouldn't be without one.  The older ones were quite painful, but not so with newer technology.  It may hurt a bit at first but you soon get used to it and I feel nothing at all now.  I only use mine on a few hairs on my face and I prefer the epilator to tweezers.  I generally have to use mine every other day or so, it sure doesn't keep hairs away for weeks.  I have not seen these hairs become any softer or permanently disapear, but it works for me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ll just say it, I’m hairy. I shave lower and upper legs and my shaved regrowth seriously feels like sandpaper.  I wish I were makin this up, I can’t stand it! 

I’ve been epilating for over a year. I love it because I can go longer with no growth and the regrowth isn’t as stubbly, so it’s softer.  BUT, I’ve NOT found the growth is any less- It still grows exactly the same density but slower and less prickly.  

The only other downside to epilating are the ingrown hairs, which are bad but it’s better than sandpaper, lol!  Gotta laugh 🤣

I find if I take a shower before epilating and hold skin taut, it pinches but doesn’t really hurt. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't buy a battery operated epiator. You'd want a constant speed on this type of item.

I'd think as the battery loses power, and the epilator runs more slowly, that's when it would start to HURT!

Don't they have a model that plugs in?

Besides ,having to buy or recharge batteries  all the time would be my excuse not to use it.

Honored Contributor

@Justholdingon

Epilators do not cause hair to stop growing back. 

Lots of incorrect marketing on this... Hair grows at different speeds for different people. Some need to use an epilator every few weeks, some once a week, some a few times a week, and some every day.

Some people find it painful, some say it hurts at first but they got used to it, others (like me) never find it painful at all, not even the first time.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedgewrote:

I wouldn't buy a battery operated epiator. You'd want a constant speed on this type of item.

I'd think as the battery loses power, and the epilator runs more slowly, that's when it would start to HURT!

Don't they have a model that plugs in?

Besides ,having to buy or recharge batteries  all the time would be my excuse not to use it.

@x Hedge

I agree; corded one’s are best.

Trusted Contributor

I have large patches on my shin & lower calf that stopped growing hairs. I have seen my arm hairs become finer, but no hair loss there yet as I haven't been doing my arms as long as my legs (off & on since 1989).