Respected Contributor

I've just noticed some flaking from my hair, not dandruff, just tiny specs. Anyone have a solution?? I don't wash my often, due to it being so dry. I wear a lot of black & can't stand to see this flaking on my shoulders. 

Respected Contributor

Is it possibly product build up? Try washing with a clarifying shampoo. 

Respected Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom I use very little product. Today I washed it, no product at all & it was flaking. I can't see anything like dandruff on my scalp, so I'm not sure what my problem is. 

Honored Contributor

Maybe your scalp is just dry.  Try using a shampoo and conditioner which states moisturizing.  There are lot of them and not expensive.  Tresemme has a nice one and so does Suave. Could be maybe the cold weather and/or heating.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Did you recently change any hair product?

Could be an allergy.

If it's truly dry scalp, WEN cured mine.

Esteemed Contributor

If it not from product, I would say it is indeed “dandruff”.  I have had reactions to some shampoos and conditioners.  I would switch my products out and see if it clears up.

Honored Contributor

Try doing a vinegar rinse on your scalp and hair. That may help balance things out on a dry scalp.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Tks for that reminder. I used to rinse in vinegar occasionally. Will try that suggestion. 

Honored Contributor

Flakes - buidup.  You could use an apple cider vinegar and water rinse after you shampoo.  1/2 cup of the vinegar to 1/2 c warm water.  It's best to shampoo every 2 or 3 days.  Also, try Acure Organics Hydrating shampoo.  I get instant moisture from this shampoo and use it a couple times a week and use other shampoos inbetween by Acure.  Use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week.  If your scalp is that dry, you could use an oil treatment argan, marula or your choice.  Massage it in and leave overnight.  Shampoo and rinse in morning.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

@AmericanBulldogMom wrote:

Is it possibly product build up? Try washing with a clarifying shampoo. 

Straight from my stylist ...... add a good sized teaspoon of baking soda in with your shampoo. Totally gets rid of buildup.