Respected Contributor

Retin-A.....Dos and Dont’s at Age 50..........

[ Edited ]
Great video and good information on Retin-A: https://youtu.be/KuWlXvAWgaY Be sure to scroll down below video and read all the comments. Lot’s of tips from people who viewed the video.
Respected Contributor

Re: Retin-A.....Dos and Dont’s at Age 50..........

Interesting that she advocates using Vitamin C serum under Retin A. I hope some of the ladies here can weigh in with their opinions on this. 

Honored Contributor

Okay here's my take on applying VC under RA. There's nothing I have read that says that combination won't work. In fact, each of those actives may enhance one another. But since that combination may increase the efficacy of each component in the presence of each other, I would be more concerned about the possible irritation that can happen if you do use them together or closely back to back. For me, I would wait until the next day to apply the VC simply to avoid the unnecessary irritation that might occur...excessive dryness, flaking and redness.

Honored Contributor

My derm took me off of Retin A maybe 10 years ago.  (I had started for cystic acne) and he let me keep using it.  He said it can "hollow you out", also insurance quit paying it.

Honored Contributor

You can use Retin-A during the daytime as long as you apply adequate amounts sunscreen on top of it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I know some in the Beauty Forum don’t care for Cody Montarbo on YouTube but he does explain using Vitamin C with Retin-A in this link: https://youtu.be/qwjSOOlLhNM And another video https://youtu.be/Rnf5KXenPok If you don’t care for Cody just by pass his videos. (No bashing and no judging. I like him and find he explains skin care and skin care products very well.) I hope some will enjoy him. He’s an Esthetician and has his own Spa & products in San Diego, CA
Respected Contributor

I use Retin-A ( purchase it in Mexico $5.00 a tube) I double cleanse using Josie Maran cleansing oil raise and follow with Mario Badescu Gycolic Cleanser , then Mario Badescu Gycolic Toner. Wait a few minutes until Face is completely dry. Then I apply a few drops of Mario Badescu Vitamin C face serum massage it in really well, wait about 10 minutes until it is fully absorbed then apply Retin-A. I have gotten really good results using this system. One a week I use Tatcha Rice Polish to exfoliate really good. I purchase Mario’s products at Ulta, now that QVC doesn’t carry his line and Tatcha Rice Polish from QVC.
Respected Contributor

What do you mean by "hollow you out?" I've been using it for twenty four years. I use retina micro; can't tolerate other forms.

Honored Contributor

There is a misconception that Retin-A makes the skin thin. Maybe that is what is meant by 'hollow you out' ...?? The fact is, Retin-A does not make your skin thin. It does just the opposite.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Okay here's my take on applying VC under RA. There's nothing I have read that says that combination won't work. In fact, each of those actives may enhance one another. But since that combination may increase the efficacy of each component in the presence of each other, I would be more concerned about the possible irritation that can happen if you do use them together or closely back to back. For me, I would wait until the next day to apply the VC simply to avoid the unnecessary irritation that might occur...excessive dryness, flaking and redness.

@SilleeMee that makes sense. 😊