Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drugstore Brush Recommendations?

In Canada both London Drugs and Walmart carry the Real Techniques makeup brushes and I also see them occasionally at Winners too. I also like some of the IT Cosmetics makeup brushes. I also use a liquid foundation or a BB or CC cream on my face as my complexion is normal with an oily T zone.

I also use non latex sponges for a final blending but not to apply foundation. I prefer my fingers or a taklon nylon foundation brush. I've tried the blender knock off sponges and they aren't something I would repurchase.

Contributor

I also like Real Techniques, Sonia K. Pro line, and Eco Tools brushes.

Since you asked specifically for a brush to use with your Ambient Lighting Powder, I want to recommend a finishing brush from EcoTools. I have a finishing brush that came in the discontinued Alicia Silverstone Vanity set, which you can still find on eBay, but the Sheer Finish Kabuki looks similar. I think I get better results with the inexpensive EcoTools finishing brush than with the $35 Hourglass brush I bought along with the powder. The finishing brush applies the powder so lightly, it's the only way I get the diffused glow Ambient Powders' promise. I also think the powder will last longer using the finishing brush because it picks up so little product. Although I really like Real Techniques brushes, I wouldn't use one with the Ambient Powders. I only use Real Techniques with creams or liquids (or for blending) because they seem to eat powder products; I have one of their blush brushes and when I use a powder blush, I see more color on the bristles than on my cheeks.

BTW, I've seen EcoTools at Freddy's!

Honored Contributor

On 5/8/2014 Curly Q said:

I also like Real Techniques, Sonia K. Pro line, and Eco Tools brushes.

Since you asked specifically for a brush to use with your Ambient Lighting Powder, I want to recommend a finishing brush from EcoTools. I have a finishing brush that came in the discontinued Alicia Silverstone Vanity set, which you can still find on eBay, but the Sheer Finish Kabuki looks similar. I think I get better results with the inexpensive EcoTools finishing brush than with the $35 Hourglass brush I bought along with the powder. The finishing brush applies the powder so lightly, it's the only way I get the diffused glow Ambient Powders' promise. I also think the powder will last longer using the finishing brush because it picks up so little product. Although I really like Real Techniques brushes, I wouldn't use one with the Ambient Powders. I only use Real Techniques with creams or liquids (or for blending) because they seem to eat powder products; I have one of their blush brushes and when I use a powder blush, I see more color on the bristles than on my cheeks.

BTW, I've seen EcoTools at Freddy's!

I have not found that to be the case with the Real Techniques stippling brush. I like it for the Clinique Cheek Pops, which are a very dense powder. The brush does an excellent job with that kind of almost cream-like texture.

I actually have two of them so that I can use one for dry blush and one for cream or gel blush. I also just bought the RT Expert Face brush for applying my liquid foundation and am very pleased with the results. I like it better than the stipple for that use.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland