Valued Contributor

Drug store vs. High end...a comparison

Hi beauties!

Thoughts on this article and the similarities and difference and how each has its benefit and savings.

https://www.healthyway.com/content/the-differences-between-drugstore-makeup-and-high-end-makeup/

Honored Contributor

Re: Drug store vs. High end...a comparison

[ Edited ]

I do agree with the article.  While anyone can achieve a great look with just about any brand whether drugstore or high end, the staying power and effects on the overall skin in the long run may be affected by using the cheaper product with less pure indredients.  I know for me, the only drugstore products that work for me are Maybelline mascaras and different lip products.  The difference in my skin by using high end makeup is obvious in the feel and texture of my skin.  I had an uncle who worked for Revlon tell me the same tlhing about the purity of the ingredients used by drugstore brands.  He said they would often use the more impure bottom of the barrel leftovers that the high end companies rejected due to impurities settling in the bottom.  He also said many of the sources for their ingredients were cheaper less concentrated versions of what is in the high end cosmetics/skincare. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know that I agree with everything the makeup artist quoted in the article said.

The gap between drugstore and high-end makeup seems to be getting smaller, and many high-end brands have the same fillers and irritants that the drugstore brands often use.

The price tag or where you buy the item does not necessarily determine the quality of the item.  You can pay a lot of money for an item and most of what you're paying for may be advertising/PR and expensive packaging.

I have purchased some really nice drugstore things and some disappointing high-end items (and vice versa).  I really don't think you can expect something to be nice these days just because you paid more for it.  Thankfully we have the internet now and can easily look up reviews for items before we purchase them.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer better ingredients, so I guess that means high street (high end) for me. Especially if I were doing a foundation.

In the case of "convenience v. performance," I go with performance! However, I'm not out there shopping all the time, so...there you have it! Then again, how will you know these things perform, unless you try them! You can't always take someone else's word.

Some things, though, like makeup brushes? You can find really good ones at the lower end. And mascara? Though I trust and have liked "lower end" Maybelline, I'm now using Rimmel, (when I do use mascara.)

Esteemed Contributor

It's personal preference.  No article or person will ever convince me that the more expensive the product, the better it is.  There are some excellent products at the drugstore, and horrid products at high-end makeup counters.  And vice versa.  A woman (or man) needs to find what works best for her, no matter where she buys it or how much it costs.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

My makeup usage plummeted after I retired from daily to monthly (if that). So I don’t spend a lot of money on makeup. I do use high end moisturizing products like Philosophy and L’Occitane. On those rare occasions when I’ve forgotten or run out of my moisturizer and had to use my husband’s body lotion, I’ve noticed that they don’t work as well as mine.

Respected Contributor

Now that I'm retired, I don't wear makeup but once or twice a week and only for a few hours at a time.  My makeup gets old or dries up before I ever run out.  I buy drugstore everything because of having to throw out almost full mascaras, foundation, eyeliner, etc.  If I were still working and needed products that would last for hours and hours, I would consider higher end products.  But as it is, drugstore is the best choice for me.  As far as skin care, I go with the research.  Prescription Retin A, sunscreen, an AHA product, and Cerave cleansers and moisturizers (am loving the Cerave Moisturizing Cream at night).  No need for anyone to spend a lot of money on skin care imo.

Honored Contributor

I tried a couple of high end products, but m skin does better with Avon and drugstore products.  The only cleanser I use is soap and water.

I'm perfectly satisfied with how I look with and without makeup.

Esteemed Contributor

I have told this story before.  I sat in the lobby of a hotel waiiting for my hubby to finish a meeting.  He was there with one convention and there was another group.  In the same area I was siting I noticed badges.... INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTS.  I guess i was bored and also curious.  So I asked what an IC was.  And here was his answer.  

This particular group makes cosmetics..... all kinds... and then the advice.  SAVE YOUR MONEY THEY ARE ALL ESSENTIALLY THE SAME.  WE MAKE FRAGRANCES TO DISTINQUISH THEM AND MAKE YOU THINK THE HIGHER END BRANDS ARE BETTER.  He also was involved with detergents.  

Honored Contributor

I pretty much agree with @POOK.  I use Maybelline eyelash and that's all.  I've used it for years (since I was a teenager).  It's served me well.

When my husband died suddenly and I'd be going somewhere and boo hoo out of the blue, it never ran, you'd never know  5 minutes before I'd been crying my heart out (waterproof).

Other than that, I use Laura Geller, IT (QVC's), Dr. Denese and I'll try a few other QVC sold products.  

Since I don't like generic medicine, I don't want to use generic makeup.

I buy name brand products for my 2 teenage granddaughters too.  They have beautiful skin (not one zit).  Their mother and I have have taught the importance of keeping the skin clean and not just putting anything on it.

My one granddaughter (soon 16) watches those YouTube videos 24/7.  She can put makeup on like people who make their living doing it.  Me? Well, I can put it on very quickly and it's fine but as for eyeshadow, forget it.

I can only speak for myself.  It's not about spending a lot of money for something.  I just think it's about using a better product.

I have a friend who's a pharmacist and she said not all generic medicines are the same...period.