Respected Contributor

Re: Drug store vs. High end...a comparison

Very interesting reading. Since I am retired I have cut  back on purchases but I still like high end for the most part. One exception is Maybelline Mascara. I do wear that and very pleased with it. Their lipsticks are pretty decent too. There is one high end company that doesn't even give you the case when you purchase their products, i.e., lipstick, eyeshadows and blush. The case is usually $45 more. That is ridiculous. I do think that they are robbing the customer. I do feel that most high end products have more pigment. L'Oreal does have a few foundations that work OK but I still buy high end foundation because there are more shades to pick from. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't trust drugstore makeup although I think it's impressive that Loreal offers so many shades of their foundation I still won't try it.  All I can think of is heavy metals, dirty water and insect particles.  

Honored Contributor

@Good4uwrote:

Hi beauties!

Thoughts on this article and the similarities and difference and how each has its benefit and savings.

https://www.healthyway.com/content/the-differences-between-drugstore-makeup-and-high-end-makeup/

@Good4u  Good article, thanks for posting. Most is what I’ve said here when asked: spend more on foundation, concealer, skincare....dept. store. Drugstore OK for mascara and some shadows, but at the end of the day, you  spend less for shadow, but sometimes have to use more of it because of fallout or less pigment. I choose high end shadow 90% of the time. Always purchase best brushes you can...serve you well for years.

Dept. stores do have testers and counter help for all important foundation matching....drugstore products, no.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Good4u  When thinking about drugstore products vs high end, I'm always brought back to a day 10+ years ago when I was out with mom on a very hot day.   Her drugstore makeup separated, with some running down her face and some sticking to it.  That, along with my sensitive skin has kept me using the higher end products, and choosing carefully so as to not irritate my skin.  Two exceptions... eyebrow pencil and mascara.

Honored Contributor

The problem with drugstore cosmetics is you can't test foundations, lipsticks, eye shadows, etc.  For me, I prefer high end products for my face and purchase Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.  I also purchase high end lipsticks.  However, I do like Maybelline mascaras but I am currently using Origins mascara for under $20.  I think that better ingredients are used in the high end justifying the price.  It's comes down to a personal choice.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I was  useing salon shampoos for a few years and went back to drugstore for they improved a great deal. I still use salon but I also use drugstore. I just tried Loreal extraordinary oil shampoo and love it.  As far as make up I see not difference between drugstore and department store

Respected Contributor

My friend applies 3 different mascaras  al high end and I told  her there is no difference and she got upset lol  It looks the same as  a drugstore mascara  except I pay like $7 and dhe pays abput $20 each lol

Respected Contributor

Ya all got to remember a lot of the companies that make the high end own the companies that make the drugstore brands.  

Esteemed Contributor

Someone told me many years ago that there are only about 5 big cosmetics "factories."   Some days the products manufactured go into high-end bottles and jars.... and the next day those same products go into the drugstore brand bottles and jars.  Same products, different packaging.  And no "heavy metals, dirty water and insect particles"  @puttypiesmom-- all cosmetic companies must meet the same cleanliness standards. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Interesting article and I agree with a lot but not all of it. 

I do believe that anyone who is good with makeup application can take ANY makeup and make it look amazing. That said, there is no way on this planet that I can say that a Wet and Wild single eye shadow is equal to a Chantecaille single eye shadow: I've used both and W&W was horrible to work with. Yes, you can make it work but the constant fall-out, having to apply layers as the pigmentation was barely there, the texture....not worth it to me.

Foundations are usually where high end comes ahead due to the colors and textures. I'm constantly scouting for very pale shades and until recently, you really were talking high end as drugstore was either very pink, very peach, very orange and/or too dark. Now they're starting to get the shades right but rarely is one rich enough for my dry skin. If you're oily to normal or want a matte look, you have hundreds to choose from. This is something that has made many bloggers discuss who drugstore makeup is marketed towards and many say it's the tween to twenties due to both price and the amazing amount of glitter/shine.

Estee Lauder does not outsource their products; all are made in-house at their private factories. Estee Lauder also owns the majority of counters at any department store you may shop at so among all their lines, you are purchasing the same product just packaged differently (MAC shadows vs EL shadows vs Clinique shadows, etc are the same formula just different shades and containers). Lancome and L'Oreal are the same product as well: when Lancome brings out their new shades for the season, give it about 4-6 weeks and L'Oreal will have those same shades (different names) as well. Same with the skincare with the exception of their super expensive products. Once you know the game and who owns which lines, you start shopping via the best deal because they're the same products (within the same company at least).

My favorite nailpolish in the world is Wet & Wild 1 Step Wonder Gel. Nothing else they make impresses me, however. Maybelline mascara is a mess on my eyes: they itch,..badly. It smears. It gloops. Many love it, however. I put the bulk of money into skincare now as I know what makeup works for me and what doesn't and the vast majority of stuff out there holds no interest for me (unicorns, mermaids, peaches, gloss with chunky glitter and everything scented out the wazoo- don't need or want it). Even then, I find serums are what I focus on as well as a good eye cream and definitely spf. 

The best part is that there are plenty of brands out there at all price points so anyone can find what they want without breaking the bank.  : )