Occasional Contributor
I just watched the Josie Maran segment featuring a cream in a pot that can be used almost anywhere. The company demo person on zoom dabbed it around her eyes, then dipped her finger back to the pot for more and rubbed it on her lips. I absolutely cringe when I saw that, imo products should never be shared between mouth and eye areas. Anyone else feel that way or is it just me.
Honored Contributor

I am a licensed cosmetologist.  The first thing you learn is that fingers never go into a jar of anything that you put on  your skin.  You should use a clean spatula and put the product on the back of your hand and use it from there.

I do a lot of cringing when I see people dip their fingers into the pot of product.  Their jar of product becomes a Petri dish for bacteria.  

Buying product sold in a tube is much more hygienic.

Respected Contributor

@Stenn @Carmie 

I buy an airline-approved squeeze tube and fill it with product using a spatula to keep the product untouched by hands.     

I find the tubes at Walmart.  Write name of product with a Sharpie and when ink is dry, place a piece of packing tape over it to keep it from fading.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Stenn wrote:
I just watched the Josie Maran segment featuring a cream in a pot that can be used almost anywhere. The company demo person on zoom dabbed it around her eyes, then dipped her finger back to the pot for more and rubbed it on her lips. I absolutely cringe when I saw that, imo products should never be shared between mouth and eye areas. Anyone else feel that way or is it just me.

That's why I'm a Wen girl.  My hair is always perfect and it's fun to use, the jars or bottles are SO beautiful.  BUT....anything that has to go on the face like a face scrub or a lip scrub comes with a spatula so you don't have to do that.  Now, a lotion like item is going on the body, NOT the lips or mouth but it does and can go on facial skin but then any lotion does that.  If you feel uncomfortable, you can make your own spatula.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else cringe

[ Edited ]

I don't watch Josie shows, but would cringe seeing presenters dipping and applying if I knew that other presenters would be using that same jar of product.  What happens to those jars (or other containers) after they've been used on-air?  How many people dip into the same jar?  Do they use a jar of product once and then toss it?

If it's my jar of product at my house and no one else will be using that jar, it doesn't bother me at all.  I wash my hands before I apply skin care, and my face probably has the same bacteria as my hands.  I wash my face less often than I wash my hands.  I'm certainly not concerned about my hands applying products to my face.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Agree w/ @tototwo .

There's such a thing as friendly bacteria on the skin, which is why it is important that we don't overstrip our skin. This is another story; I know that's not what OP was talking about.

But I certainly wouldn't want anyone else dipping into any personal jar.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Harpa.  This discussion also made me think about lipsticks and lip balms.  Should we use a lipstick once, then throw it away?  I mean, afterall, that creamy stick touched our lips (oh the germs!) and probably should never be used again.

But I don't want anyone else using my lipstick (or dipping into my personal jars).   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

As long as you are the only person using it, it does not matter.  More than likely you touch yourself in many places several times a day without realizing it.  Its your own personal germs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I have always believed that if it is your personal product, in jar, you can dip your finger in.  I would never share a product that my finger has gone in and they are my same old germs.  

Respected Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

I have always believed that if it is your personal product, in jar, you can dip your finger in.  I would never share a product that my finger has gone in and they are my same old germs.  

The germs are on your fingers and under nails. They are picked up  from door knobs, cooking, cleaning.  Routine hand washing doesn't remove them all. Products in tubs are difficult to keep uncontaminated.