Honored Contributor

Does Your Skin Know What Time It Is?

Lately I've noticed a lot of skin care lines are promoting their new night creams by saying we are sleeping between certain hours. Today, listening to Marissa from IT, I learned this new cream works between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. 

I never wore moisturizer at night. My dermatologist said I didn't need to. When I asked her at my last appointment she gave me a sample of a drug store moisturizer to try. I wasn't that impressed with it, so decided on my own to wear Josie Maran's milk moisturizer, which I'm very happy with. Then I decided to wear other recommended products over that. But I'm not consistent, and I know I should be! 

But I really don't think my night cream won't work if I go to sleep later than midnight- which I do!  

What do you think?  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Your Skin Know What Time It Is?

Your skin can't tell time, but life follows an inbuilt Circadian Rhythm.

See the source image

Trusted Contributor

It's just a sales tactic.  Our bodies do things when we sleep, like our skin rejunivates itself, but I doubt it knows what time it is. Some people work nights and sleep during the day.

Honored Contributor

I really think that night cream and sleeping masks were invented so skincare companies can sell moisturizers that don't work well under makeup. If customers only put the product on after taking off their makeup, they won't go around leaving bad reviews saying it pilled or messed up their makeup.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom    Don't listen to that BS.  Does your night cream open the lid to remind you it's time?  LOL  Just put your moisturizer or whatever you want to use on when you get ready to get into bed.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

A Cream that works between 10 pm & 2 am?  Most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

A Cream that works between 10 pm & 2 am?  Most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

@Icegoddess PT Barnum said, " There's a sucker born every minute." When it comes to the beauty biz, there are no shortages of suckers willing to fall for the next gimmick.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

She said "...that's when you skin's natural cell turnover is already happening." She failed to say that it's also happening during the remaining 20 hours of the day, causing some viewers to be misled.

Honored Contributor

I'm in bed my 8pm.  I'm pretty sure my nighttime products don't wait until 10pm to start working.  I have to roll my eyes when I hear some skin care reps state some of the things they say.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

That's silly!  How can our skin know that?  I have never worn any cream which says it's specifically night cream.  Everybody has different needs, of course, but for me, it just works better for me to leave my skin alone at night.  If my skin were talking to me I think it would say --- Please, please, just leave me alone for awhile --- go to sleep and keep your hands to yourself!!! LOL!!! Woman LOL

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin