Honored Contributor

Does Anyone Use Differin Gel in Their Beauty Routine?

What’s your experience with it?  

Do you use it nightly?

Is it irritating/drying like Retin-A?

How long did it take to see results ? 

Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Does Anyone Use Differin Gel in Their Beauty Routine?

@JeanLouiseFinch 

What would you be using it for, it is specifically an acne product 

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Do you use it nightly?

Thanks. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch 

What would you be using it for, it is specifically an acne product 

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Do you use it nightly?

Thanks. 

@I am still oxox  That’s typically what prescription Retin-A was used for as well, until it was discovered that it helped with wrinkles, exfoliation, and collagen production.  Differin is also a retinoid but much less expensive than Retin-A/Tretinoin, and available OTC - no prescription.

Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I did some research on RA and Differin; they ARE NOT the same at the deep molecular level. This is a big difference.

Diff. should not be used as a sub. for RA; you wont get the results desired. Differein will only respond as  an acne product, not anti-aging.

There is research and literature online regarding this. I was curious as well, considering the price of RA.

Valued Contributor

I've been using this since it came on the market as an OTC acne treatment. It works great on my skin. It took some getting used to at first. I had a lot of dryness and used only three times per week before I was able to use nightly. It works better that other acne medications that I've used. I always wear suncreen. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch ,

I have been using Differin gel consistently since the start of the stay-at-home orders in my area, mid-March.  I use it three times a week, applying a pea-sized amount to my entire face, but avoiding the eyes, in the evening.  It did make my skin peel a little bit when I first started it but that has tapered off.  After I apply the Differin gel, I let it dry and apply one pump of CeraVe PM Facial Moisturing Lotion.  Then, on the alternate evenings, I use a 15% glycolic acid serum, Gly-Luronic serum from Makeup Artist's Choice, and the CeraVe lotion.  I use Vasanti Brighten Up! scrub once a week to remove any flakes, mostly from my mouth/chin area.

I'm 63, had extremely oily skin and horrific cystic acne as a teen and young adult.  Did a course of Accutane in my 30's which helped a lot.  But, I still have oily skin and occasional breakouts even at age 63.  I tried Retin A  off and on but my skin got too irritated and would never stop peeling no matter how slowly I introduced it.

For me, the Differin gel is not as irritating as Retin A, which is understandable because it's a weaker retinoid than Retin A.  Even using the 15% glycolic acid serum on alternate days has not irritated my skin.  So, this combination of products, used on alternate days, is a winner for me.

Has Differin made me look instantly younger (erased wrinkles, brightened skin) after using it for three months?  Of course not.  It doesn't get down into the deeper skin layers like Retin A does, so I don't expect it to have much anti-aging effect.

Has it cleared up my occasional breakouts?  You betcha!  Just today I was thinking that my skin texture looks much better, pores look much smaller around my nose (my problem area for large pores) and overall just looks smoother.  Using the glycolic acid serum by itself did not clear up my occasional breakouts until I started using Differin.

The combination of Differen gel and glycolic acid has not removed/lightened sun spots/freckles, erased wrinkles or lifted my sagging jawline.  But I really didn't expect it to.  But this combo has smoothed the texture of my skin and stopped occasional breakouts.

Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  I did some research on RA and Differin; they ARE NOT the same at the deep molecular level. This is a big difference.

Diff. should not be used as a sub. for RA; you wont get the results desired. Differein will only respond as  an acne product, not anti-aging.

There is research and literature online regarding this. I was curious as well, considering the price of RA.

@Maestra1 well, that's disapponting because I've read the opposite.  Who knows what to believe anymore? Thanks for sharing your insight.

Valued Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Maestra1 wrote:

@Maestra1 well, that's disapponting because I've read the opposite.  Who knows what to believe anymore? Thanks for sharing your insight.

@JeanLouiseFinch I had heard the same thing....that people who use RA for anti-aging and find it too  drying/irritating could use Differin as an alternative, although the results aren’t as dramatic.

I was prescribed Differin years ago (before it was available over the counter) for acne.  It was not very effective for the breakouts I had as a teen, although I know some had success with it.

Valued Contributor

My dermatologist recommended it to clean out the pores on my nose.  It worked for a bit and then nothing.  I have read it is for acne and expected some skin reaction, but that didn't become an issue for me.

Respected Contributor

I did a lot of blog reading and watching YouTube videos about the use of Retin A and Differin.  I decided that for my light, sun damanged, slighly dry skin it would be best to ease into Retin A.  I'm not up for a bunch of redness and peeling, and several users whose blogs/etc. I read started with Differin and worked up from there.  I looked for people who are my approximate age and have my skin type, and investigated what those people said worked best for them.

So I have been Differin twice weekly since January, on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  I bought the 1.6 ounce tube at Wal Mart and even at twice a week, the tube is still about half full.  It is mild enough that I can also use it on my neck.  I always follow with a moisturizer, usually Derma C night cream, or sometimes Avene Physiolift Night Smoothing Balm or Strivectin TL, depending upon how much moisture my skin seems to need.  The Differin seems to have brightened my skin and smoothed it out a bit.

Once this tube is done I will switch to a low dose of prescription Retin A and work up from there.

The only other actives I use are Paula's Choice 2% BHA exfoliant on the nights I don't use Differin, and Good Molecules niacinamide toner every morning before applying my sunscreen and foundation.

I also dermaroll faithfully on the non-Differin nights.