Honored Contributor

Re: Do you condition your lips for lipstick?

[ Edited ]

@Midmod wrote:
@Shelbelle
What do you use?
I didn't know Clinique made a MS lip product and I just left Belk! What's the name of it?

Right now I am using Bare Minerals Lip Mask under my lip gloss and stick. It is really not much more than a lip balm in a pot.  I wanted to try the Tatcha Lip Mask but it has artificial dyes in it, so I passed.  Worst of all are the Sara Happ products, loaded with petro. I did buy the Nakery lip conditioner/plumper in the clear, not tried it yet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nelc wrote:
Believe it or not I use Vaseline.
It’s the only thing that keeps my lips moist.
I use it every morning after I brush my teeth and again at night before going to bed.
If I feel my lips dry during the day, especially in the winter, I reapply during the day.

@nelc

Same here. Been using Vaseline as long as I can remember. I reapply several times throughout the day when I'm home. I never have dry chapped lips. 

I also like to carry a Nivea lip balm in my purse. 

@Midmod 

I use a small amount of Vaseline on my lips before applying lipstick.

Honored Contributor

I really haven't had to condition my lips since I started using gluten free lipsticks. I have issues with gluten and if a lipstick isn't free of it, I notice my lips peel. Therefore, I switched to Bobbi Brown lipsticks and the problem has been solved.

I sometimes use a moisturizing lip gloss from Bobbi Brown at night too.

Honored Contributor

I would think a lip primer would be your best bet if you wear lipstick.

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline
Quite a few months ago I bought Elf's lip primer. It may work to hold lipstick and there is a lip conditioner at one end but it's not very moisturizing.😒
I scrub my lips after I brush my teeth with a small silicone pad, I'm sure that's why they need conditioning during skin prep. So conditioning with anything at all before bed, ( which I do) is washed off with the scrubbing pad.
There's some good recommendations here so I'm going to study each response and come up with a solution. Ty!😉
Contributor

I exfoliate my lips gently with a wet washcloth in the morning while washing my face.  I use MAC Prep & Prime for lips before applying lip liner, lipstick and gloss or tinted lip balm.

The Laneige lip mask works well overnight.

Respected Contributor

I use an Estée Lauder lip conditioner.
Honored Contributor

Nothing. Woman Embarassed  But I don't have chapped lips either.  And I seldom wear lipstick.  So maybe that's it. 

Super Contributor

I live by Skinn Lip 6X Classic, can’t do without it. HOWEVER, Skinn Lip 6X balm is perfect for the lips before applying lipstick. Exfoliate first, of course. Lip 6X Classic is what I use anytime I am not wearing lipstick. It is just too moisturizing for lipstick to adhere to it. These are both head and shoulders above any other lip conditioners I have EVER tried. I used Carmex years ago, but no comparison. And petroleum-based Vaseline, etc., and others are worst of all.
Honored Contributor

No.  Before I apply lipstick, I apply an organic lip balm, then the lipstick (also organic). 

Don't like the look of lipstick only --on my lips.  I use a *nude* lipstick (Honey Glow) as I don't like harsh color to my lips (reds).  Just doesn't look natural with my coloring.

I exfoliate with a gentle cleanser nightly (also, organic), that's all I need.