Honored Contributor

Re: Do you condition your lips for lipstick?

@Midmod wrote:
How do you use a lip mask? I've never ever used one lol

It's just a conditioner for your lips that you use overnight.  You can use it during the day too @Midmod .

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The reason I asked was because I was watching a YT'er Sat and she mentioned that she used Maree lip balm during her skin prep. Well I've been noticing that if I want to use lipliner ( which I rarely bother with) that my carmex just won't allow for that but I want some hydration on my lips during skin prep in the AM.
I've never heard of Maree or know anything about lip prep exclusively so I thought I'd ask!
O/T, she also used a Queen Bee balm under her eyes that looked really interesting 🤔. 😁

Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

I don't know how long it's been but it's been over a year that YouTubers started a trend of conditioning their lips before they put their makeup on. It just seemed like everybody jumped on the bandwagon at one time. It was almost comical. Personally, I don't see how anyone does that. I would almost definitely get the lip mask on my sponge or brush or on the side of my mouth. It just seems too easy to make a mess of things. I didn't read all of the replies so I hope I'm addressing the question correctly.

Frequent Contributor

I obviously don't wear lipstick since I'm a guy but just wanted to join.  After my p.m. routine, I use Aquaphor at night (I know I know) and JM's Argan stick during the day, usually every hour on the hour.  I have really really dry lips for someone reason......

Trusted Contributor

I use either a coconut or shea lip butter on my lips from The Body Shop.

I put it on right after my shower and it stays on as I'm getting ready/putting on my makeup.  I put on my lip gloss or lipstick right before I leave for the day, so my lips are hydrated with the lip butter until then.  It is mostly soaked into my lips at that point and doesn't interfere with the longevity or color of the product that I'm using.

Honored Contributor

I use Blistex balm all day and before going to bed.  I just cannot stand having dry lips.  This keeps my lips in pretty good condition.  I don't apply any product to my lips before lipstick because I have problems with lipsticks bleeding on me as it is.  I do at times apply a lipstick, blot with a tissue well and then lightly apply a gloss over.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
After the shower in the a.m., I always use carmex on my lips. But I have to dab with a napkin before lipstick or gloss because it will just not go on on top of carmex. So that got me thinking, is there anything that you ladies here on this board use prior to lipstick or gloss to condition your lips and to keep them from feeling so dry and maybe keeping lipstick from feathering? Any and all tips and suggestions and thoughts are welcome. I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday. 😁

@Midmod   I use clear City Beauty Plumping Gloss while I apply skincare and makeup. I blot it off before lip liner and gloss or lipstick. It does come in shades...my fav is Sun Diego. I have several backups since it's expensive, but purchase a few when there's a sale on site.

Esteemed Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Be aware that Carmex has camphor in many, if not all, of their products.  This is an irritant.

Like as in the product Campho Phenique? 🌸

That one I have never checked.  If it woks for you, then you are fine.

One thing I did discover that can cause dry lips is your toothpaste.  

Respected Contributor

I use Burt's Bees lip balm before bed, and often reapply when I get up during the night. I also use that over a lip stain on stay-at-home days. My lips are incredibly dry, and will crack if I don't keep something on them most of the time.

If going out, I use lip stain under sheer tinted glosses instead of lipstick most of the time. I have found that Laura Geller's Jelly Balms, Clinique Almost Lipsticks, and a couple of others are sheer enough so that "feathering" doesn't show. I do not like lip liners at all!

Super Contributor

Most definitely!  A balm, lip,inner to line and fill in...lipstick, then gloss.  Stays on for hours!