Honored Contributor

Re: Do you blow dry with medium or high heat?

If I'm doing a complete blow dry to freshly cleansed hair, I'll do the medium heat/high speed until it's damp-dry. Then I'll use high heat/low speed as I'm blowing the section in the round brush, moving the blow dryer around but still pointing at the brush, and then I hit it with a shot of cool to set the curl. My Super Solano is NEVER without the nozzle.

Esteemed Contributor

Low temp, high speed.
Keepin' it real.
Frequent Contributor

I noticed it always takes my stylist longer than it takes me to blow dry my hair. I have always used high. She told me they are taught to use lowest heat possible to blow dry for best results. I have tried and tried but find I either don't have the time or patience to use the low setting and section it out like she does. When I use low and do a section at a time it definitely looks and feels better.

I've started letting it particularly air dry before styling. Still doesn't look as good as at the salon.

Trusted Contributor

I never understood why there was high heat on a hair dryer. Seems it would do more harm than good.
Super Contributor

My old dryer has a cool setting, just cool air, but I have short fine hair so it drys on the cool setting pretty fast. It's either cool blow dry or just natural dry if I go with my curls.
Honored Contributor

I'm really low-tech about this. I have shoulder length, thin/fine hair. I either air dry it or sit in front of my portable fan to dry it (4-5 mins).

-- bebe Smile

Valued Contributor

If I'm diffusing for curl it's low speed, high heat. Otherwise it is usually just high heat. I do have a Paul Mitchell dryer though. I find that Revlon dryers have really high heat when I've used them in the past. And I always use the concentrator, which is the nozzle Chaz recommends.

Honored Contributor

You should have 80% of the moisture out of your hair before even starting to dry your hair, saw this on a TV segment, that way your wont be using the hot air so much. This works actually,

Since buying a drying with a concentrator it is much more efficient. I also think that using lower heat is going to take longer (depending on yr hair), maybe overthinking on this

Respected Contributor

When my gal styles/blow drys my hair, my hair actually smokes. Weird, but it always looks much better than when I use medium heat at home. Since she only does my hair 6x's a year, I'm ok with it.
Respected Contributor

High heat, no matter what speed I'm using. I cleanse every morning and just don't have time to use the lower temp.

I tried the "burn" test on my inner arm the other day (like Chaz does on his shows) it took a good 10 seconds--I counted--for it to get uncomfortably warm on my skin. I never hold it on my hair that long in any one place!