Honored Contributor

Re: Dimethicone free Primer and Foundation

@SilleeMee wrote:

Dimethicone is the oil version of silicone. It's more fluid-like than silicone. It's true that silicones don't clog pores because the silicone molecule actually evaporates...it's a volatile substance which means it can't get into your pores and will leave quickly if it does. For this very reason dimethicones were formulated because these do not evaporate and will clog your pores by sealing their openings, trapping bacteria and anything else inside the pores.

@SilleeMee  Unfortunately, hair serums, shampoos/conditioners and styling products with “cones” also cause clogged pores/hair follicles on your scalp. I stay far, far away from them for any area of my body. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Dimethicone is the oil version of silicone. It's more fluid-like than silicone. It's true that silicones don't clog pores because the silicone molecule actually evaporates...it's a volatile substance which means it can't get into your pores and will leave quickly if it does. For this very reason dimethicones were formulated because these do not evaporate and will clog your pores by sealing their openings, trapping bacteria and anything else inside the pores.

@SilleeMee  I’m “iffy” about silica listed as an ingredient in one of these posts. Don’t think it’s a “cone”, but does add some slip. Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  I’m “iffy” about silica listed as an ingredient in one of these posts. Don’t think it’s a “cone”, but does add some slip. Thoughts?

@Shanus,

Silica is basically sand (quartz). It's unreactive, inert and doesn't pose any harm. It is very different chemically from silicone and any silicone based substances. They have nothing in common. Silicone is man-made, silica is naturally occurring. Under the microscope silica appears as very smooth, spherical structures which is why silica can make something feel slippery when it's added to it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus,

Silica is basically sand (quartz). It's unreactive, inert and doesn't pose any harm. It is very different chemically from silicone and any silicone based substances. They have nothing in common. Silicone is man-made, silica is naturally occurring. Under the microscope silica appears as very smooth, spherical structures which is why silica can make something feel slippery when it's added to it.

@SilleeMee  Ahhh. Nice having an expert here. Thanks. 

Respected Contributor

Agreeing with @Shanus, I am learning so much from @SilleeMee about this topic. Thanks!!