Honored Contributor

Thanks for the review! Too bad it wasn’t anything special but at least you know and you won’t be wondering. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEVACURL UPDATE

[ Edited ]

@Shanuswrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@ShanusWith Deva styling products- less is best! I also hate that feeling of 'stuff' in my hair.  I really like the Devacurl Styling Cream.   I apply it when my hair is jsut washed- and scrunch it throughout my wet hair.  But again- less is better!

Sounds like the hairstylist wasn't the best in general- sorry you had to go through that. Sephora will give you tester  samples of several styling products- try them!

What drug store styling products do you use?

@Ibby114. Good morning. I’m mostly using Shea Moisture S&C and their deep conditioner twice a week. I don’t think there’s much difference in performance between the scents. Styling products I use either Garnier Fructis Gel or mousse (for curly hair), Shea Moisture Spray Leave in Cond. for second day hair.

Does anyone have a good curly hair product for hear protection...sometimes use my diffuser? Devacurl products supossedly all have heat protectant built in. My curl/hair is fine, but lots of it....the oils seem to weigh it down. Thanks.

@ShanusBy mentioning 'Shea Moisture S&C' - do you mean their curl and shine line?  I'm a big fan of the Shea Moisture items I've tried- their curly hair products primarily The deep conditioner I used is their Shea Butter variety.

I rarely use a dryer on my hair- hopefully others can chime in about heat protection/diffuser.

@Ibby114  Yes I use their curl products. I found them accidentally years ago. I was frustrated in products available for curly hair and wandered over to the black women’s hair products.....That’s where I look first now. 

@Shanus I was actually wary about Shea Moisture.  I had tried Carols Daughter, with a similar marketing audience-  and was  dissatisfied. The products felt heavy in my hair- and the shampoo/conditioners lingered no matter how much you rinsed! So I'm trying Shea Moisture items slowly .... they have so many shampoo/conditioner lines too! Maybe I'll go to their website and look for a variety pack. 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@Ibby114wrote:

@ShanusWith Deva styling products- less is best! I also hate that feeling of 'stuff' in my hair.  I really like the Devacurl Styling Cream.   I apply it when my hair is jsut washed- and scrunch it throughout my wet hair.  But again- less is better!

Sounds like the hairstylist wasn't the best in general- sorry you had to go through that. Sephora will give you tester  samples of several styling products- try them!

What drug store styling products do you use?

@Ibby114. Good morning. I’m mostly using Shea Moisture S&C and their deep conditioner twice a week. I don’t think there’s much difference in performance between the scents. Styling products I use either Garnier Fructis Gel or mousse (for curly hair), Shea Moisture Spray Leave in Cond. for second day hair.

Does anyone have a good curly hair product for hear protection...sometimes use my diffuser? Devacurl products supossedly all have heat protectant built in. My curl/hair is fine, but lots of it....the oils seem to weigh it down. Thanks.

@ShanusBy mentioning 'Shea Moisture S&C' - do you mean their curl and shine line?  I'm a big fan of the Shea Moisture items I've tried- their curly hair products primarily The deep conditioner I used is their Shea Butter variety.

I rarely use a dryer on my hair- hopefully others can chime in about heat protection/diffuser.

@Ibby114  Yes I use their curl products. I found them accidentally years ago. I was frustrated in products available for curly hair and wandered over to the black women’s hair products.....That’s where I look first now. 

@Shanus I was actually wary about Shea Moisture.  I had tried Carols Daughter, with a similar marketing audience-  and was  dissatisfied. The products felt heavy in my hair- and the shampoo/conditioners lingered no matter how much you rinsed! So I'm trying Shea Moisture items slowly .... they have so many shampoo/conditioner lines too! Maybe I'll go to their website and look for a variety pack. 

@Ibby114  Sorry. Shouldn’t have copied quote... long & confusing. Yes, Shea Moisture is heavier than, maybe Pantene, etc., but it’s because curly hair requires so much more hydration in order to curl w/o frizz. You can always alternate w/ another shampoo...I alternate w/ a purple shampoo for my white hair.

Honored Contributor

I use the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Milk and really like it.  I tried another product and it was too much for me.  I haven't tried any of their shampoos or conditioners....yet.  

I use a diffuser on Low speed and Med heat.  I often have my hand right in there and it's not hot enough to bother my hand or my scalp (since the fingers of my diffuser have openings at the ends close to the scalp), so I feel no reason to be concerned about heat protectant.  You could also use low heat, but to me that's just cold and I'm usually a little cold already so I'm not doing that.

Honored Contributor

Sorry but I feel like I warned you about the process they use

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@BarbiHollywoodwrote:

As a curly girl living in the humidity of Florida, I can relate to wanting perfect curls.  I don't have it, unfortunately, and I can't let my hair grow long enough because I get frustrated and end up getting it cut.  My entire 53 years I've never had long hair.  Wanted it, just never let myself have it.  Sometimes I wonder if I were able to find a stylist who KNOWS how and what to do with my kind of hair (coarse) I'd be happy.  I have enough of an issue trying to find a stylist who KNOWS how to cut short hair.  After two years of going to the same salon and coming out mad at myself for paying an unnecessarily expensive bill for what I left the salon looking like, I am trying a new place tomorrow.  It's a horrible feeling to know you spent a ton of money in the hopes of your hair looking great only to end up unhappy with the results.

@BarbiHollywood  Oh please. I hear ya! I’ve kept my curlies in a pixie...long or short pixie for many years looking for a good stylist.

The one I found that helped me transition to my white/silver hair, does a great hair cut....if I want to wear it straight. Most stylists see curly hair & have no idea what to do. The first day this woman saw my hair her 1st comment was,”Have you ever thought of wearing it straight?” Every one has always blown it out w/ the round brush. 

Luckliy, mine are looser curls & conditioned enough so minimal frizz. I just go w/ them using the round brush...my curls come back next washing. Just got tired of short hair & on my way to medium length bob w/ long bangs pushed over to the side. I’ve taken the photo to stylist & threatened her not to cut off anything except bangs and a few whisps if a split end...I try to do that myself to keep her scissors away. 

My hair appts. with her now are mainly deep conditioning and a toner to keep my hair white & I pay and run before she suggests taking off length.

@Shanus  Hi!  Same with me (except that I still have my hair colored and get just a few highlights).  All it takes is a round brush to make my curls disappear.  Stylists think I want them to dry my hair pin-straight but that's not so.  I like a little volume, not flat.  You say "straight," they think "flat."  Completely different!!

My experience yesterday at a different place was fantastic.  Never met the stylist before, sat and chatted, and after a few minutes, I knew I was in good hands.  Besides, it's hair right, it grows back.  We took baby steps and I came away really, really happy.  Okay, one thing that I didn't care for at the moment was that she insisted my pieces would look better with a little wax-y stuff on the ends.  I obliged but I am in NO way a fan of that stuff, I don't even do hairspray.  Made my hair feel like it had plaster on it, but I washed it today and the cut is very good, color nice, it's very easy to do, and I have found myself a new hairstylist!  Makes me happy!!  

This is a good forum, I'll be checking back later, for sure.

Enjoy your day!!