Honored Contributor

Well, it wasn’t what I expected! The salon was tiny and crowded, not like the the photos online of the salon in NY...should have expected that. 

Out of the 6 stylists there, only one trained in the Curly Girl Method although shelves were stocked with all the Devacurl products. My stylist had not come to work yet...20 minutes late....a bad first impression.

When she arrived, she began in a rushed manner, but I explained that I had waited 20 minutes & didn’t expect to be rushed through my appointment. I was there to learn and needed her to slow down. She started over.

After the washing, conditionings, dripping, scrunching and more dripping.... I leaned over as she squished in conditioner and gel and shook my hair into curls. I had lots of curls, but very sticky hair w/ more product than I’d ever use. After diffuser drying, my hair looked stuck together and like it was dirty and first needed a good shampoo! 

Yes, I was disappointed, but without a cut, it was only $20 & I gave her a tip. I learned that these products are not for me. My hair curls just fine w/ my drugstore s&c, gels or mousses. I use silicone/sulfate free which is the same as Devacurl only 1/4 the cost.

Now I can put my curiosity to rest and straighten my hair from time to time w/o feeling guilty.

Honored Contributor

Good review @Shanus.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It's all about the stylist and the hair cut.

My beliefs are that  going for haircut should be a pampering, spa like relaxing situation.

They certainly failed you.

That being said my granddaughter had an amazing cut and her hair was stunning.  None of us could replicate the look as the stylist had done 

Either way she is young and has a beautiful head of hair.   The cost was high and her mother has never taken her back and it's been some years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEVACURL UPDATE

[ Edited ]

@ShanusWith Deva styling products- less is best! I also hate that feeling of 'stuff' in my hair.  I really like the Devacurl Styling Cream.   I apply it when my hair is jsut washed- and scrunch it throughout my wet hair.  But again- less is better!

Sounds like the hairstylist wasn't the best in general- sorry you had to go through that. Sephora will give you tester  samples of several styling products- try them!

What drug store styling products do you use?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Well, now you know and have no need to return. ; )

I didn't post my experience because I didn't want to post negative when there were already quite a few. 

Mine was horrible. A lot of money, hours at the salon (the cut took FOREVER), a ton of products and my hair looked NO DIFFERENT then how it always did. My DH was ******; he knew how bad I wanted to do this/was looking forward to it. Grandparents came to care for the boys, we took a weekend and drove up....and the look on my face said it all. Waste of time and money. 

" You have to crack the glaze on the hair in order for the curls to really look great" were the last words I heard when I left. My hair was a crunchy pile of curls that, when "cracked"  then looked like a greasy pile of limp curls from all the glop on my hair. Washed it at the hotel, did what I normally did and never looked back.

Sounds like you came away with a few tips and if so, at least you got something for the money. : )

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SahmIamwrote:

I didn't post my experience because I didn't want to post negative when there were already quite a few. 

Mine was horrible. A lot of money, hours at the salon (the cut took FOREVER), a ton of products and my hair looked NO DIFFERENT then how it always did. My DH was ******; he knew how bad I wanted to do this/was looking forward to it. Grandparents came to care for the boys, we took a weekend and drove up....and the look on my face said it all. Waste of time and money. 

" You have to crack the glaze on the hair in order for the curls to really look great" were the last words I heard when I left. My hair was a crunchy pile of curls that, when "cracked"  then looked like a greasy pile of limp curls from all the glop on my hair. Washed it at the hotel, did what I normally did and never looked back.

Sounds like you came away with a few tips and if so, at least you got something for the money. : )

@SahmIam YUK !! Woman LOL I have to give my DevaChan stylist kudos then, I had soft bouncy curls when I left the salon. I probably said a zillion times I hated  feeling 'stuff' in my hair. And THAT he listened to! (the only thing! Woman Happy)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was this an actual DevaChan salon, or just a salon with some stylists with Deva Inspired stylists?

Deva Inspired stylists take a 2 day coursein DevaChan methods of curl transformation, dry cutting, and highlighting. Deva Advanced take the Inspired course and a 3 day Advanced course. A DevaCurl certified stylist takes both of those course and then another 2 day course to receive certification.

There is only one L3 DevaCurl Certified stylist in my area and she's 30 miles north of me. There are dozens and dozens of L1 Inspired stylists in my area.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@ShanusWith Deva styling products- less is best! I also hate that feeling of 'stuff' in my hair.  I really like the Devacurl Styling Cream.   I apply it when my hair is jsut washed- and scrunch it throughout my wet hair.  But again- less is better!

Sounds like the hairstylist wasn't the best in general- sorry you had to go through that. Sephora will give you tester  samples of several styling products- try them!

What drug store styling products do you use?

@Ibby114. Good morning. I’m mostly using Shea Moisture S&C and their deep conditioner twice a week. I don’t think there’s much difference in performance between the scents. Styling products I use either Garnier Fructis Gel or mousse (for curly hair), Shea Moisture Spray Leave in Cond. for second day hair.

Does anyone have a good curly hair product for hear protection...sometimes use my diffuser? Devacurl products supossedly all have heat protectant built in. My curl/hair is fine, but lots of it....the oils seem to weigh it down. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIamwrote:

@SahmIam. The biggest tip: don’t go back!

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114wrote:

@SahmIamwrote:

@SahmIam YUK !! Woman LOL I have to give my DevaChan stylist kudos then, I had soft bouncy curls when I left the salon. I probably said a zillion times I hated  feeling 'stuff' in my hair. And THAT he listened to! (the only thing! Woman Happy)

@Ibby114  I had enough cwap...heavy leave in conditioner & defining gel for all of us and then a few other people, too. Couldn’t wait to get home to wash it all out!!!!