Honored Contributor

Over the holidays, we took some casual photos. Wow, I really noticed how light my concealer looked compared to the rest of my face. Yes, it was brightened, but looked a bit unnatural. I've ordered my Nars Radient Creamy Concealer in another shade...still a tiny bit lighter than my face, but it will blend in more seamlessly. 

Taking a selfie is eye opening.

Honored Contributor

I hope that works well for you!  Oh, goodness --- I do not like pictures of myself!  I always think I look better and then I see a picture and then think --- eeeck --- what happened?  I've never been very photogenic..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I don't like my photos either. I've practiced turning my head up, down, right or left and sometimes can find a flattering angle and repeat it. Most of the time, if the lighting is over head only, it creates unflattering shadows. Unless you're in a professional setting, it's impossible to control the lighting situation.

Have a great New Year.

Respected Contributor

I have never enjoyed being photographed, much less take a selfie! I am sure I am walking around with my concealer and rest of my make-up looking hideous! 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

A 'No-Flashback' product is made just for picture taking when the camera uses a flash when a pic is taken. That flash can reflect back into the camera especially if your makeup contains brightening ingredients. Setting powders are notorious for flashback b/c they contain mica.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A 'No-Flashback' product is made just for picture taking when the camera uses a flash when a pic is taken. That flash can reflect back into the camera especially if your makeup contains brightening ingredients. Setting powders are notorious for flashback b/c they contain mica.

@SilleeMee   Some SPFs also create that. I've had difficulty with brides' photography if the spf had Titanium Dioxide. Makeup w/ spf can also do that. I never get good results when using both.

Respected Contributor

I had my first Zoom meeting a week ago and practiced my makeup ahead of time.  I wanted professional but soft, I am 75.  I needed definition.

The one thing that surprised me was my concealer.  I had to switch to a slightly darker shade, a different brand and finally got it to look natural and not too glaringly bright.  It is still a work in progress but the time I took was so well worth it. 

At least I could control the lighting, angle, etc.  Casual candid photos are another matter entirely!  

Honored Contributor

@author wrote:

I had my first Zoom meeting a week ago and practiced my makeup ahead of time.  I wanted professional but soft, I am 75.  I needed definition.

The one thing that surprised me was my concealer.  I had to switch to a slightly darker shade, a different brand and finally got it to look natural and not too glaringly bright.  It is still a work in progress but the time I took was so well worth it. 

At least I could control the lighting, angle, etc.  Casual candid photos are another matter entirely!  

@author   One thing that really me is since I wear a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation, I'm able to dot a bit over the concealer to blend. Maybe if you need to, you can purchase a lightweight foundation (inexpensive) for this purpose. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

One of the things I'm trying is the slightly darker concealer and then after that bringing up foundation ever so slightly over it and blending the two.  Looks very natural, no too-bright undereye area that I had at first try. 

It definitely takes a bit of time and careful blending but very worth it when your face is going to be appearing before a group on a large screen hd tv.  Eeeek.

And of course I won't "really" know how I look to them, just how I look on my screen.  I try not to think about it!  Right now it is only meetings, and me on their computer but eventually it will be on a big screen before various groups as I give talks.  

Any tips from you beauty mavens out there are much appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

@author wrote:

@Shanus 

One of the things I'm trying is the slightly darker concealer and then after that bringing up foundation ever so slightly over it and blending the two.  Looks very natural, no too-bright undereye area that I had at first try. 

It definitely takes a bit of time and careful blending but very worth it when your face is going to be appearing before a group on a large screen hd tv.  Eeeek.

And of course I won't "really" know how I look to them, just how I look on my screen.  I try not to think about it!  Right now it is only meetings, and me on their computer but eventually it will be on a big screen before various groups as I give talks.  

Any tips from you beauty mavens out there are much appreciated!

There are a million videos on YouTube that talk about lighting, angles, make-up, etc. It was a hot topic for a while with Covid.