Honored Contributor

Curly Hair Product that Works! Pics Included

Disclaimers:  Ymmv. Ny curls are not natural; they're a perm, but I still face some of the same frizzing issues of those with naturally curly hair.

I seem to have found MY holy grail anti-frizz product. While I liked the Raw Curls anti-frizz spray I was using, I just wasn't satisfied with it, maybe because I have been using the special anti-frizz ingredient for years already in a diy oil I use for finishing. 

I recently tried Matrix Biolage Frizz Control Styling Spray and fell in love. Often my hair is so nice after drying I don't even feel a real need for a finishing product. Also, 2nd day hair is a breeze. Sometimes I can just pick it out. Or, if I get up with crazy hair I just spritz plain water in, spritz a little of this product in, and then spritz with a styling cream dissolved in water. Once that dries, I may turn upside down and massage just the scalp and then flip back over. Always a little hairspray mainly because I can't stand hair falling down onto my forehead.

One of the other things I like about it is that I don't feel the need to "fluff" the sides every time I walk by a mirror. As it is, I was using a root lift spray there and also hairspray on the roots to keep the sides from flattening out and causing that triangle look. Even then, it needed constant fluffing to stop that from happening. Now, I don't need to.

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now to make sure before I posted. Hate thinking something works and then doesn't after a couple of tries.

Ingredients: Water, Maltodextrin, Inulin, Polyglyceryl-10 Dioleate, Glycerin, Sodium Benzoate, Salicylic Acid, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Gossypium Herbaceum, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Tocopherol

Matrix Biolage Curls.jpg

Matrix Biolage Curls Back.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Curly Hair Product that Works! Pics Included

Beautiful!

Honored Contributor

So pretty....glad you found your HG!

Respected Contributor

Wow, you have exactly my hair except for the color.  My DD has that hair also but longer.  Ours is naturally curly.  DD likes the Deva products.  I've been blowing mine smooth for a while but have decided to go curly again.  I'll have to try your suggestion.  The reason I don't go curly is that my second day hair is pretty wild.  I'll give it a try and see if I can tame it with a spritz.

Esteemed Contributor

Boy am I ever green with jealousy. What a gorgeous head of hair you have, you lucky duck.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess   What a pretty head of hair!  I was lucky to be born with naturally curly hair.

I used to have quite a lot of it.   I wear it short now due to losing it all 5 years ago with chemo.  But it came back similar, just not as thick as it was.   I don't have too much frizz as I am a Wen girl and have been for more than 7 years.  I would like to try the styling spray though to help keep things in place.  Thank you for the recommendation. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@Icegoddess   What a pretty head of hair!  I was lucky to be born with naturally curly hair.

I used to have quite a lot of it.   I wear it short now due to losing it all 5 years ago with chemo.  But it came back similar, just not as thick as it was.   I don't have too much frizz as I am a Wen girl and have been for more than 7 years.  I would like to try the styling spray though to help keep things in place.  Thank you for the recommendation. 

Thanks @LindaSal.  It's actually thin and quite fine.  That's one reason it's not any longer than it is.  Plus, I have a short neck and longer hair really looks better on someone with a longer neck.  It's also so much easier to style when it's curly.  My natural hair is just kinda wavy and required work and some sort of heat styling every day to make it look presentable.  I no longer want to work on making my hair look good.  

I try to follow a Curly Girl lifestyle, but I sorta feel like the goal posts are moving on that and not sure I really want to be concerned about more and more rules which rule out more and more products.  I'm even rethinking my position on some silicones.  

Honored Contributor

Your hair does look terrific @Icegoddess .  Glad you found a product that works so well for you!   I'm envious of all you ladies with curly hair.

Trusted Contributor

Your picture of the back of your head could be me!  LOL I have had naturally curly red hair all my life. I don’t know if the color is natural but it certainly looks like it. If that is a perm it’s one of the best I’ve seen. It took decades for me to accept having curly red hair. I grew up wanting Cher hair or Farrah Fawcett hair. I use Deva Curl products now. I think I’ve tried most every product for curly hair. I might have a new one to try. You do have beautiful hair. I have to color my roots now or I would be gray. I hope you appreciate the compliments on your hair. A lot of people would love to have it even if those who have it aren’t wild about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Beautiful hair! Thanks for the recommendation on the Matrix product....I'm going to look for it next week. I'm pretty sure Walgreens carries it.